Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Im getting some new rats shortly and im running on a fairly tight budget as im saving up for a school trip to madagascar.
Could you please give me some advice on toys that i should buy or make my rats?
What do they seem to enjoy the most and is there anything i should avoid?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
cat balls with bells inside, cardboard boxes, empty toilet rolls (or even a full roll, they will love unrolling it).

look in a dollar shop, you'll probably find plenty of things in there, or look in the pet section of the supermarket... plenty of cat toys are also good rat toys.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I agree, dollar (or pound in my case) shops are brilliant, I get lots of plastic bits and bobs, boxes, trays, balls and buttons (big) for them to chew on!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
SOME cat toys are great. Some are just so-so, or irritating.

I bought a variety pack of super cheap ones for about $3- the plastic disky/jingle bells things were a total bust. They didn't even like them as a chew toy. The fabric mice got chewed and carried around a little, but I had to throw it out because it smelled so strongly like pee. Round plastic balls got chewed and moved around, not much else. These foam balls with a jingle bell inside were a hit with the girls, but I had to take them away at night because they were making too much noise!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. so the general view is cats toys are great as long as your a deep sleeper!

·
Registered
330 Posts
rats like pretty much anything, try tieing some fabric (preferably felt) to the top of the cage, plastic bottles, those plastic kids bowlswith 4 holes drilled in the sides, tied to the top of the cage like a basket is quite good as it can be easily cleaned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts