Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ummm this happened...

View attachment 185762

I woke up this morning and went to check on my girls as usual and this is what greeted me. Yes, that's a food dish with food in the bottom and shredded paper stuffed inside. After laughing a good deal I noticed the rats were not taking the bedding out to get to their food they were burrowing into it, head first, to get food!

1.) I'm wondering is this a behavior I should discourage? Or should I only take it out when I need to check/refill their dish?
2.) Share your "what the...?" moments with me. what strange thing have greated you in the morning?

LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't have a picture of my "what the" moment but!!! I woke up to greet my rat and sitting in front of the bottom cage door that I usually use because I'm to short to reach the top one lol she had her igloo, a toilet paper roll, and all of her little toys barricading her self in or making me stay out lol. It's funny what they do

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Your picture didn't show, but from your description that's a normal habit, they're 'hiding' their food. I'd replace the bedding when you refill the food, just put more on top of the bowl. They have a habit of peeing on things before before using them to hide their food (or at least mine do).
As far as my latest "what the....?" moment. I found this yesterday....
Animal shelter Rat Cage Hamster Muroidea

This is my smallest girl Nimh inside of her food dispenser. She threw all the food out just to do this.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a picture of my "what the" moment but!!! I woke up to greet my rat and sitting in front of the bottom cage door that I usually use because I'm to short to reach the top one lol she had her igloo, a toilet paper roll, and all of her little toys barricading her self in or making me stay out lol. It's funny what they do
Haha! Nice. I'm new to being a rat mom so right now I'm having a lot of ? moments. Really enjoying it. These are the moments I think I enjoy the most.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my smallest girl Nimh inside of her food dispenser. She threw all the food out just to do this.
*snort* That's definitely a great one.

Good tip about the peeing. The shredded paper is just in there for them to nest with if they want. It doesn't seem too soiled or anything. I usually spot sniff it to decide if it stays or not when I clean. If it reeks I usually throw most of it away and leave a little bit of the smelly there so it smells familiar for them. Same thing I do with the litter box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.