Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Persephone is a nearly 2 year-old female. About a month or so ago she displayed a head tilt with rolling. She was treated for three weeks and the symptoms disappeared in short order.

However, about a week ago the symptoms returned. She had head tilt, no circling. Believe it's the same ear. Took her to the vet, she was given the same antibiotics as last time. However, no steroids this time for a variety of reasons.

A week later, symptoms have worsened. She now rolls and falls a lot. She shows no signs of a PT otherwise (Cheerio test etc). I plan to take her back and try another med and if it doesn't work try steroids alone, but I was wondering what others experiences are.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had a female rat Ellie 9 months old get head tilt which suddenly turned into rolling and biting anything within reach (which I thought was a ear infection). I took her to the vets for antibiotics and a steroid injection twice but she still wasn't looking right... The third time we went back with the thought to ask for one more try. It was the steroid injection that was making her act normal but only for about a week at a time. She turned out to have a tumor growing inside her ear and when I asked why it grew so fast since we had been in a week ago and there was no sign, the vet replied "we just looked inside her ear...."

By then the tumor was to big to remove and I was devastated. I don't mean to alarm you and I know it sound crazy to even have to say it but it might be worth just making sure they actually looked into her ears.

I honestly hope its just a ear infection and I hope you don't panic from my post.. Get well soon Persephone <3

1 - 2 of 2 Posts