Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a few times on here asking for advice about my rat Bean, and here I go again:

She has a very large mammary tumour and she's moving about and eating and doesn't seem too in pain, but I am noticing that some discomfort might be starting.

She sleeps more and half squints her eyes a little---but not much. She might have just been sleepy because she doesn't do it while she's moving about, just once while sitting somewhere she likes to nap.

She has no other pain symptoms as far as I can tell. I can't tell if she's sucking in her sides because she's lost a lot of weight to the tumour.

I know I will have to make the decision one day that it's time to take her to the vet to be put to sleep---but I don't think that day is today, or even this week.

I don't want to end her life while she's still mobile and happy. Plus, it's a £50 vet visit just for a check up, so I'd rather ask for advice on here before resorting to that.

Do you guys know anything I could give her for a little pain relief---just in case the squinting I saw was a sign of pain?

For those of you that have had rats with mammary tumors, how did you know it was time for that final vet visit?

Bean isn't progressing like my other rat who got mammary tumors. She got very sick very fast, and stopped cleaning and eating and drinking pretty much within a week. Bean, however, when she isn't taking longer than usual naps, seems her usual self. I have no idea how I'll know it's time.

But yeah, painkillers?

I live in England, and I can't really afford another visit to my vet. It's far away and I've spent hundreds already.

They don't even help, they just say "come back in a week and we'll see how she's doing" or "you'll have to book another appointment with Dr WhatsHisFace coz I don't know about rats" so I just keep spending and spending.

Thanks for your help, you guys are life savers. Sorry if I don't manage to reply to everyone.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Aww, what a cute little face.
There is meloxicam (Metacam) which you would need to get from your vet.
Also here is a link to the Rat Guide page about pain relief.
I will also post a link to a video about when its time for euthanasia. I have found it very helpful in the past myself.
Wishing you all the best with Bean.🌺

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,652 Posts
Your Bean looks to be in good health other than the tumor, she's keeping weight on and her coat looks sleek and well kept. Metacam isn't really a 'pain killer', but it's all we have as a way to relieve pain by reducing inflammation and calming the pain receptors. How fast is the tumor growing? If it hasn't gotten to the point of stretching the skin and causing hair loss and open wounds, just continue to watch her daily for signs of pain and distress.

For me, my Taco Belle who has one mammary tumor, has now developed another. She is thin, all her calories are going to the tumor. They are both losing hair and getting red and irritated from being dragged around. She is also 3 years old. I made the decision yesterday. I have an appointment at 2:00 today. We are going to release her soul, free her of this broken body and send her spirit over the bridge. Taco has lived a good life, a great life, and although I am sad to see her go, I am joyful for the time we had. To keep her around in this condition would be selfish, and I love her too much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so sorry to hear about taco belle, it's so aweful having to make these choices isn't it?❤

No, bean isn't loosing hair yet and her lumps look ok, no grazes or anything. I will keep a lookout, that's good advice.

If you don't mind me asking, is taco still mobile? I worry I'll have to take bean to be put to sleep while she's still active. I can just picture her being taken away by the vet, climbing up their arms and stuff, wondering "ooh, where are we going?".

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about taco belle, it's so aweful having to make these choices isn't it?❤

No, bean isn't loosing hair yet and her lumps look ok, no grazes or anything. I will keep a lookout, that's good advice.

If you don't mind me asking, is taco still mobile? I worry I'll have to take bean to be put to sleep while she's still active. I can just picture her being taken away by the vet, climbing up their arms and stuff, wondering "ooh, where are we going?".
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, she is still mobile, loves to go to free roam with the boys, loves her cream of wheat and avocado. She is alert and happy, not in pain yet. It's the hardest part of this awful reality...I will be holding her and loving her and looking into those bright little eyes as I hand her over to the vet. I'm crying now just thinking of it. I can't be there for her...Phyllis was my first and will be my last, and I just can't do it again. Taco will be in good hands; we have a wonderful vet.

It's the Way of the Rat. Love them while we can, let them go when we must, and in between are memories and joy.
As @RatPappy says: Separation is temporary, love is forever.
And as @SonicRat says, it is a 'soul release', and their spirit will go on to be reborn in another rat, and maybe come back to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's so sad to hear, it sounds aweful but I wish my beanie would go downhill so that final visit to the vet feels like a relief rather than the painful and conflicting decision it's going to be.

I fear in a few days I will be in the same situation as you, and I am so sorry.

I'm sure little Taco knows you absolutely adore her.

Wishing you all the best ❤

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I hope I'm doing the right thing. It's heart breaking, she's seems so strong, but I know it's just a matter of days now. People say early is better than later :cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's so difficult isn't it? My other rat, Honey, had to be put to sleep and I did it too late. I kept thinking "What if she's enjoying life just a little bit? Just enough to make one more day worth it?" But I know I was just being selfish. I loved her too much to let her go.

I don't want to make the same mistake this time.

I 100% believe you're doing the right thing too. In a couple of days I'll be doing the same, I think. I wish ratties lived longer. I don't feel like I've gotten enough time with Bean.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Thank you @12345678 for being here for me. Only another rat lover like you would understand. Taco is a rescue; she was actually born into the rescue on Oct 23, 2019. She's just shy of 3. She came back to us a year ago and I made this last year a great one. I'll be strong for her.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've posted a few times on here asking for advice about my rat Bean, and here I go again:

She has a very large mammary tumour and she's moving about and eating and doesn't seem too in pain, but I am noticing that some discomfort might be starting.

She sleeps more and half squints her eyes a little---but not much. She might have just been sleepy because she doesn't do it while she's moving about, just once while sitting somewhere she likes to nap.

She has no other pain symptoms as far as I can tell. I can't tell if she's sucking in her sides because she's lost a lot of weight to the tumour.

I know I will have to make the decision one day that it's time to take her to the vet to be put to sleep---but I don't think that day is today, or even this week.

I don't want to end her life while she's still mobile and happy. Plus, it's a £50 vet visit just for a check up, so I'd rather ask for advice on here before resorting to that.

Do you guys know anything I could give her for a little pain relief---just in case the squinting I saw was a sign of pain?

For those of you that have had rats with mammary tumors, how did you know it was time for that final vet visit?

Bean isn't progressing like my other rat who got mammary tumors. She got very sick very fast, and stopped cleaning and eating and drinking pretty much within a week. Bean, however, when she isn't taking longer than usual naps, seems her usual self. I have no idea how I'll know it's time.

But yeah, painkillers?

I live in England, and I can't really afford another visit to my vet. It's far away and I've spent hundreds already.

They don't even help, they just say "come back in a week and we'll see how she's doing" or "you'll have to book another appointment with Dr WhatsHisFace coz I don't know about rats" so I just keep spending and spending.

Thanks for your help, you guys are life savers. Sorry if I don't manage to reply to everyone.
Please try giving homeopathic pellets of Arnica Montana 30C. Right into the mouth and try to not handle the pellet very much. Safe to give twice a day for pain relief. Nontoxic to rats. Also read this very informative web site from an expert in rat health; Rat Fan Club Excellent help for every condition. Blessings.

·
Registered
25 Posts

But yeah, painkillers?

Read this on using CBD. the Rat Report (ratfanclub.org) It works!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts