Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new boy Science is scheduled for a check up on Tues at 9am. They asked if we wanted to do the neuter that day if everything goes well. They didn't tell us we had to do anything special before hand but I just want to make sure. I've been spending a lot of time with him because he is alone right now and he hasn't sneezed more than once or twice. His lungs sound clear, eyes are clear, etc.

Should he eat before hand? Or no? If so how much? Is there anything else anyone can recommend? I've been reading other peoples neuter threads.

He has been staying at my work as to not break quarantine. If the vet says he's healthy and he comes through the neuter okay, would I be able to intro him to my girls after he is healed? I'm 90% sure they use dissolvable stitches. Can/should I put Vetricyn on the area to help it heal? (I'll definitely be asking the vet all these questions but its nice to know other peoples opinions/experiences as well!)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Nothing special needs to be done to prep for his neuter, he can eat and drink up til he's put under.

As to the incision, it heals pretty quickly so I'd leave it alone (so he does). Abscesses post surgery are common so watch for that.

As to intros, he will need 10-14 days to be sterile post-neuter. His incisions will long since be healed by then. It is normal for him to attempt to hump and show interest and will take many months for that to diminish.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nanashi :) Oh thats good to know when hes sterile! I'll definitely wait 14 days because I have 5 girls and I am really not interested in 5 litters haha.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the vet was awesome, super nice lady. She said she had an ex lab rat in college who was one of the best pets she ever had, slept on her pillow every night! So im confident hes in good hands. Ill be able to pick him up this afternoon. She warned me about infections but has only had 1 rat develop an abscess after a neuter. Science was such a sweetie to her! She said he could stand to lose some weight and gain some muscle but I think after intros the girls will have no problem keeping him active!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts