Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have two, one-year-old male rats. I got news from the vet yesterday that one of my boys has a zymbal's gland tumor. While they removed as much of it as they could.. we're looking more at a "when" euthanasia than an "if" euthanasia.

With my previous pair of rats, they were both very old when the first one died, so I kept the 2nd one company for a few months until he also passed. But in this scenario, my rats are only a year old. I don't want my remaining rat to be by himself for over a year. I need advice on what to do for him.

If I were to buy a baby rat from the same breeder, it could be up to a 6 month wait list and I would have to keep them on separate foods in the same cage. And then in a ~year I would have the same problem of one rat being old and dying and leaving the other one alone.
I know people adopting a rat IS a possibility, but they're such uncommon pets, I'm not sure how many people in my area have them, let alone who is looking to have one adopted.
I'm worried I will have to re-home him so he's not alone, but after losing one rat, I don't want to loose him too!

Has anyone encountered a "one rat" scenario? What was your solution?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Usually people get 3 rats that are the same age, so that if one passes away, they other two will still have a friend to keep them company. Consider getting 2 more young or adult rats. Maybe ask your breeder if they have any adults they are looking to rehome, or if they know anyone else in their network looking to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe check with a local rescue/people looking to rehome or go to your breeder. Please buy TWO more rats because they really do need a friend to go through the stress of moving. Until you can get another rat though, you should definitely keep them on a schedual and let him out as much as possable and spend a lot of time with him. Hope you can get through this and I'm so sorry about your rat with cancer, it's so hard losing a pet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts