Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will get three baby females in March from a good breeder. Yesterday I was at the local pet store and you can guess what comes next... There is a yellow black eyed four month old gorgeous female in a tank by herself waiting for a certain fate. One employee begged me to take her home since she is so friendly. Is this risky for the new babies? They are not born yet. Please reply asap, I don't know what to do but want to save her.
Can you safely introduce babies to a 5 month old rat from the same sex, how about disease? I don't have rats so by the time the babies will be here she should be out of quarantine.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
To answer your question yes you can safely introduce them, and a quarantine will insure that you aren't introducing any sick rats to a healthy one. you will need to quarantine the babies for three weeks before you can introduce them to the 5 month old. After that you can follow the introduction steps listed in the introduction sticky but I think it will be ok because it is easier to introduce younger rats to older ones in certain circumstances. Plus I think the 5 month old will be happy to have company. So no worries! Just do your research, follow the steps, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yup, I'd say as long as you could watch the old gal and make sure she was healthy by the time the new babies showed up, you'd be fine! Little ones aren't usually an introduction problem, and I'm sure the older one will be just delighted to be mother or older sister to a few new additions!

As far as quarantining the new babies, I'm temped to say you don't need to worry. As long long as the older girl is healthy, and the babies are coming from a very trusted source, you might be able to get away with it. As long as you understood possible risks/vet trips, the chances of which I think would be pretty minimal. But you might want some others to weigh in on that.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To celebrate the Year of the Rat I decided to rescue her from being snake food from a 10 gal. tank in an unheated outdoor shed (in the Pacific NW!). She is a diamond in the rough; latte color, black eyes, sweet but scared, sits still without biting. She is now in a warm room in roomy temp. tank with bedding and healthy food and finally sleeping after rearranging her stuff and a good meal. She is skinny, her coat not too smooth but basically healthy I think. Now, fingers crossed she is not pregnant!
Thanks for your support; one more happy little rat around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts