Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
My roommate just adopted two rats, and it means a lot to her that everyone in our home gives them attention and treats/food.
I don’t know a lot about rats and I was hoping to get her some food and treats for Christmas.
What would you guys recommend? They’re both under a year old, but full grown medium sized I believe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I give my rats a variety of treats. Although you do want to make sure they don't get too much.
Cheerios are good for keeping near the cage, for a quick, no prep; no mess treat. But not as a staple and not too many.
When I first got mine - I would Google "can my pet rat eat __?" I always make sure to add the word "pet" into it or you get results for exterminating rats.

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
Oxbow adult rat food, Yogies treats (cheese or fruit flavor) and Critter Pops (small size)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally, I like to give my rats treats that they can have fun with too :)

Unsalted nuts with the shell are always fun- rats can chew through the shell and get the nuts inside. I think hazelnuts are the best option, and peanuts shouldn't be used raw.

You can also get these rabbit "hay-toppers" and those make for a fun foraging activity when you mix them in your rats' bedding- you just have to make sure they don't have any type of hay in them because rats cannot easily digest hay. (I use something called "naturals by rosewood nature's salad")

·
Registered
142 Posts
In addition to treats you could also try looking at some parrot forging toys. Stuff like:

Or forging mats like:

Another parrot toy:

Stuff like this is great for entertaining rats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts