Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy Beauford is on Baytril and Bactrim for whatever is wrong with his ear. The vet won't say either way if he thinks it's an ear polyp, abscess, or ZGT or even something else, just that his face is swollen to the point of misaligning his jaw when he's at rest and that there's a growth in his ear which could or could not be the swelling on his face. He's also on meloxicam, but I have no problem giving that. My problem arises from the antibiotics. He's on .38ml Baytril and .40ml Bactrim, which is kinda a lot, he's a big boy, 770g.

He'll take his meds in one thing and either halfway through or the next time he will turn up his nose.

Things I've tried that used to work:
Ham or Turkey baby food
Rice cereal (still works for the meloxicam)
Blueberry rice cereal
Mayonnaise
Nutella
Spinach and peas baby food
Soy baby formula
Vanilla pudding
Strawberry syrup

Things he wouldn't even take without meds in them:
Raspberry Preserves

I split my dcn when it's med time for about a half hour, longer in the evening, to try to encourage him to eat what I left, but that doesn't work. Splitting it full time I don't think would work either because it really agitated my girl Emily, she's kinda the mom figure of the group. She will sit on the ladder that's separating the levels and brux and boggle furiously.

I need ideas that can mask the unpleasant taste as well as odor of the medications that I preferably don't need to give him a bowl full of. I've wasted so much of the medications putting small amounts in something to have him eat it then mixing the rest into a larger portion for him to turn it down.

He still loves his strawberry yogurt though... His poops, when I see and know they're his, look pretty normal.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
There is Ensure, an elderly drink with vitamins and minerals: very good to get some nutrition into a sick rat...but if he refuses Nutella, that might not work either.

Can your vet flavor he medicine with anything else, maybe it is the flavoring is is tired of, rather than the medicine per se? Or maybe you could do the flavoring yourself by getting the meds on the web? I never had a rat refuse the Torani syrup I mix their meds into. I used vanilla, almond, and caramel syrups with great success. I have to fight them to get the syringe back!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My boys hate any type of berry aside from blueberries. I've found that my picky guy really likes blueberry syrup (you can find it in the baking isle with the honey and maple syrup). I haven't tried maple but I'm assuming they would enjoy that too. You could also try different types of baby food. I recently found 'Beech-Nut' Stage 2 Just [insert name of food] its a series that my boys REALLY like. They have one that Just Corn, Kale and *something I don't remember* it was dark green and they loved it. Another thing you could try are those bags of broth cat food that they've started selling recently. You could also try smoothies... my boys love smoothies. I'm assuming the temperature and the mixed flavor might mask it better.

If you're asking your vet to add flavoring to their medicine make sure you ask about what flavors they have. My vet used raspberry flavoring and my boy couldn't stand it. I think its too sour for them.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I would not use maple syrup with antibiotics. Maple syrup (at least real maple syrup) is quite rich in calcium which would decrease the absorption of antibiotics.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Is anyone bullying him after he eats what you give him? Rats smell what another rat ate by sniffing the other rat's mouth...when I was medicating Gribouilli, I would give my other rats a little bit of the baby food too (no meds, obviously) before putting Gribouilli back into her cage. I know Gribouilli ate more readily when I took her out if the cage, instead of just separating the rats inside the cage.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They only have bubble gum Baytril for some reason and "berry" Bactrim. I've tried removing him from the cage and that worked for a little while, then he started to just run away. The girls in his cage always got a little when he was put back or while he was out.

Do you have a link to the blueberry syrup?

I have some Baytril I got online but it's expired.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Csszal, this is a link to the Blueberry syrup I use. You should be able to find it at a local grocery store in the baking isle.

https://jet.com/product/detail/aa623ca5e77c45808711b32b4c44ff63?jcmp=pla:ggl:jd_food_beverages_tobacco_a3:food_items_condiments_sauces_syrup_a3_other:na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=43be43bf-8e4f-428d-a9ca-8bb03b8c8db1&abkId=403-170480&gclid=CJT5yenl6MoCFY17fgodxJcNDA

You may also be able to find syrup like this in the ethnic foods isle. There is a large Polish population where I currently live. Polish people love using fruit flavored syrups on their breakfast items. So I know for a fact you can find bottles of flavored syrups in those isles as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts