Rat Forum banner

What toys and activities are the biggest hits in your rattie cages? I need ideas.

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  AdequateRat 
#1 ·
I have a double level Critter Nation cage, and I have it full of hammocks, hanging tunnels, a space pod, an igloo, and little jingly balls as well as the occasional toilet paper roll, but I was wondering what else I can put in it for my group of girls to play with. I just got two very active little babies on Saturday night, so now I'm even more in need of toys, activities, games, things to explore, etc.! Thank you all!!

#2 ·
I go the cheap route, but there are some interesting things you can do with thrift.

I save cardboard boxes, especially cereal boxes. I use a box cutter to remove at least one side of the boxes and will stack them up. I made a video that I've been meaning to upload to YouTube. In short, I'll usually have a stack of cereal boxes on one side and then a larger cardboard box of some sort on the other side. I cut holes in them to provide access points. I vary the locations of the holes so they have to slink around to get to the next level. I put them on the right side of my DCN with the open side against the bars because I like to watch them play. I use binder clips to secure the boxes to the side of the cage.

After a week, the boxes get pretty funky (I think less than a week), so I remove the clips to let the rats really demolish Rat City and then eventually throw out the boxes when cleaning the cage. The rats will make their own mess ahead of time. They like to shred the cardboard and use it to make a nest.

I put treats in a toilet paper tube. I seal the tube up by cutting eight notches in each end and then fold the resulting tabs inward like an iris. The treasure chest does not last long.

I stick unscented Kleenexes in between the bars of the DCN. It doesn't take long for rats to drag them into the cage to do whatever it is they like to do with Kleenexes.

I made a temporary dig box with a 1-gallon milk jug. I cut out the handle and burned the edges (learned the hard way how those jagged edges can wound a rat). I stuffed the jug with whatever confetti I could find. I recycled a box of losing raffle tickets.

#3 ·
My rats favorite toy in the world is this cat ball made out of strips of fabric. I imagine it would be easy to make yourself by just tying a bunch of strips of fabric together in the middle. My girls toss & carry it all around and for soem reason it always ends up in the food dish lol TP rolls & cat bell balls are also a big hit.

Outside of their cage they have a box playland where I cut holes in boxes and taped them together. They really like things they can climb on

#4 ·
You could buy a box of tissues and just give them the whole box, they will have fun pulling all of the tissues out. And the box is a good place to sleep too.
Plain paper bags are fun too, for some reason. You'll hear the thing crinkling constantly lol.
I have jingly balls too, for some reason my rats think these belong in the corners, they pick them up and leave them there.

#5 ·
I feel like my girls are the only ones who don't play with toys. I've tried TP rolls stuffed with treats...not interested. Tissue boxes...untouched. Tissues in between bars...maybe 1 tissue pulled through. Kitty bell balls...ignored. Ferret tunnels and such...after a few steps in, return out. I hand wrestle them, and chase them around...Delilah and a Bear enjoy that, but Rosey and Madame, not all of the time. Any ideas?

#6 ·
My guys' favourite thing would be tissue boxes.
They're a big hit.. They'll pull out the tissues and stick them in their tunnels.

When said tissue box is finally empty, all 8 of them will try to cram in there. ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.