Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to begin? I've looked for a breeder in my area but there seems there isn't any.. I've been reading peoples posts and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what rats to get?

What's the pros and cons of having males vs females?

·
Registered
506 Posts
The girls:
They tend to be more hyper active
Smell like grape soda ^_^
tend to stink less
are smaller
more likely to get tumors (mammary tumors)

Thats all I can think of for them, and if I'm off on any of those I'm sure some one will correct me. :p I have boys myself.

The boys:
Tend to get bigger
are hyper as babies but usually get pretty lazy as they grow older (around 5 to 6 months)
tend to smell a little worse, but it can be controlled if their cage is cleaned properly
They are more cuddly
They scent mark you (with little drops of urine, but it's really not that bad unless your really freaked out by that sort of thing)

They both give kisses! lol. Just remember there can be personality quirks, and they might always end up with the same characteristics. Each rattie is different. They are very social and should be kept in pairs.

If I screwed this up at all, anyone, correct me but I'm pretty sure this stuff is accurate :p.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Unfortunately, girls will scent mark on occasion, too. It's supposed to be cute, because that means that they think you are "theirs", but I always get a little annoyed with Sevilla walks over me dribbling away.

A couple other thing for girls (my girls, at least) is that they're chewers (unless you do a REALLY good job rotating things around and keeping them fully entertained at all times, they're destructive!), and that they're mischievous. I catch Belgie all the time trying to sneak under the blanket I put over my bed for them. She wants to be in MY blankets.

And the main thing that steers me away from boys should probably be mentioned: the man-bits. I just don't really like the thought of 'em dragging on me if I tried to play with boys, and many members seem to feel the same way.

And yes, do know that every rat is different.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just remember, whatever sex you get, there's always exceptions to the 'rules' and young rats are also always hyper, male or female...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've only had females, so I guess I'm biased, but i think you should go for the girls! xD

My girlies love to burrow underneath cloth, etc, and they're big chewers of fabric and plastic (they once chewed through my water bottle without me knowing, and when I picked it up it leaked all over me!). :roll:
They love to hang out in my shirt (especially the sleeves, which are like moving hammocks) and they like to hoard bits of wrappers and other such goodies.
My girls don't scent mark me..at least, not so much that I notice.
Vegas also likes to try to get inside my mouth and groom my inner lip, but I'm always worried she'll get too vigorous and nip me, so I don't let her do that. xD
They're not bouncing off the walls active, but they do like to run around their play area (two couches that are next to each other) and try to escape from it every now and then.

I guess I can sum the girls up as: adventurous, playful, and sweet, with some chewed up objects thrown in! ;]

·
Registered
126 Posts
all_animals said:
I don't even know where to begin? I've looked for a breeder in my area but there seems there isn't any.. I've been reading peoples posts and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what rats to get?

What's the pros and cons of having males vs females?
FEMALES

Pros:
*They tend to be more cuddly
*They're more gentle when it comes to cleaning teeth or other "grooming" techniques.
*They don't pee on everything too much.
*Their fur tends to look more "sleek."
*They will never get as big as an adult male.

Cons (Well, that I found...):
*They're a little slower at learning tricks/lessons, as their minds concentrate more on what's around them.
*They can get "pushy" during treat training, and are quick to steal your treat before the lesson is mastered.
*They don't like to be out when you're not sitting there with them.

MALES

Pros:
*They enjoy exploring their wearabouts, but they still prefer to be more laid-back about it. Some tend to get used to cuddling.
*When one pees on you, another will lick it up for you, then he'll pee on you! lol-had to put that one in there!
*They consider you the leader, and so they'll be easier to train.
*Some can be quite an enjoyment to see! (Jeffy always does something funny or cute to get people's attention-whether it be falling off the top of the couch to the seats, or even darting one way, and then the other, almost crashing into someone else!)
*They can grow up to be HUGE! (Shadow's length, from nose to tail, is about 13 in.)

Cons (Again, that I have found):
*Their fur looks more "coarse" and dirty (White becomes light brown that NEVER comes off)
*They are more likely to fight with others the same sex as they.
*They're more likely to get tense during stressful situations.
*They tend to throw a strange smell in their fur, resulting in more baths than the females.

These MAY all be wrong, or some that I can think of, but this is what I've found in different litters about each sex. On rare occasions, however, I end up with a "Tomboy," like Athena, but more often, they're just like I listed. Hope you find the pet rat you're looking for!! :D Rach

·
Registered
500 Posts
rach913 said:
all_animals said:
FEMALES

Pros:
*They tend to be more cuddly
*They will never get as big as an adult male.

Cons (Well, that I found...):
*They're a little slower at learning tricks/lessons, as their minds concentrate more on what's around them.
*They don't like to be out when you're not sitting there with them.

MALES

Pros:
*Some tend to get used to cuddling.
*They consider you the leader, and so they'll be easier to train.

Cons (Again, that I have found):
*They are more likely to fight with others the same sex as they.
Good info, but I have to disagree with some points:

All the males I have had tend to be more "cuddly" than the females, even though I think my females get more attention than the males at times.

Brad (b/f) and I were playing with our rats last night, and when we had the girls out, they would stop by to say "hi" then be on their ways...and I often let them free-range without me in the room (it's rat-proofed) and they seem to enjoy it.

The males, however, climb all over Brad and I the entire time they are out, especially Brad. If we aren't in there with them, they go hide until we get back. He tickles them with his fingertips and they kick at the air, jump, then roll over on their backs to get their bellies tickled.

I agree with you that the females tend to pay more attention to what's going on around them. :) But don't let this make you think that they are less intelligent. While this can make them harder to train, a border collie can often be one of the hardest breeds to train simply because they are super-intelligent. I've found the girls to be really similar.

As far as the fighting, we have a shrimpy hairless that we recently introduced to our boys (they are all littermates and have never had an "outsider" in their group until now) and he has not gotten one scratch since he's been in the cage. They actually let him get first pick of the food, even though he's half their size. However, we have 3 females who have left such serious wounds on one another that it almost required vet care, and one who has to live alone because she is so aggressive towards other females.

Btw, the female that has to live alone is bigger than all the females and males that we have. :) I think this is pretty unusual, though.

Anyways, just wanted to make the point that a lot of the other members made; every rat is different. There are some traits that tend to go more with males and others that go more with the females, but maybe you should try going the route of just meeting some rats yourself (if you can find any in your area, I know you said you were having trouble finding any. :wink: Maybe a shelter?). I've had both males and females, and I really don't think I could say that I like one better than the other, they're both very cool. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the unsures about that, as I'm not sure why they're like that, but that's how my girls and boys have turned out over the year. But, hey, maybe Hinata's just wierd to cuddle up with mama to sleep! lol! I do have a strong belief, however, that my girls are pretty smart, as they respond really fast to the "circle" command I've been working on for only a week (I want to teach Rin how to dance with a song...I think it will be cute to see a round rat dancing for treats by one-word command, POSSIBLY throughout a 2 min. song! :D) It's GREAT to see one female that's larger than the males, as none of mine have grown that big. I also agree that many traits the boys like are as great as the traits of the girls :D RAch

·
Registered
500 Posts
rach913 said:
Thanks for the unsures about that, as I'm not sure why they're like that, but that's how my girls and boys have turned out over the year. But, hey, maybe Hinata's just wierd to cuddle up with mama to sleep! lol! I do have a strong belief, however, that my girls are pretty smart, as they respond really fast to the "circle" command I've been working on for only a week (I want to teach Rin how to dance with a song...I think it will be cute to see a round rat dancing for treats by one-word command, POSSIBLY throughout a 2 min. song! :D) It's GREAT to see one female that's larger than the males, as none of mine have grown that big. I also agree that many traits the boys like are as great as the traits of the girls :D RAch
If you can get her to dance, make sure to record! :D I'm everyone would love to see it, we're always on the lookout for cute vids. But you're right, they are so much smarter than a lot of people think, so I would say it's definitely possible.

Our girl Matoska is a hoss, we're not sure why she's so huge. She is also really muscular compared with the other rats. She sure thinks she's the boss of every rat in the world, though. Ironically, so does Splinter, the teeny hairless male we have. Go figure. :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
lol that's pretty funny. Sounds like Shadow's size. Only, he's a big sissy. When a small argument appears between the boys, he runs away by mama! :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
All_animals, I found some rats up for adoption through the FurrButt Farms rat rescue if you're interested. The lady who is fostering them is in Nashville, if that's not too far from you. If you'd like her info, just let me know. I think she said she has males right now, approx. 1 year old.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
with the scent marking, penguin does that, i thought she was sick but she only does it occasionally, and it's annoying when she does, but girls are more prone to tumors which is depressing, but i love the hyperactive-ness of them during free range, it's adorable, i dont like it to much when i want to relax on the couch with them and cuddle. my girls don't smell like grape soda, more like poo, but that's cuz they are attracted to their litter box.

they all have individual personalities, penguin (my sister's rat, penguin isn't her name but that's what i call her) is super hyper and wont sit still for 2 seconds (kinda like my sister, M.F.E.O) and i ozzy, is quite a bit calmer, she'll sit still if i scritch her (penguin basically ignores scritches) and my sister always complains that i got the calm one both times.

i've had boys before, within the first ten minutes, my boy was on my shoulder bruxing. a couple days later we discovered the mite-y infestation and my parents wouldn't bring them to the vet :'C

either ones can make great pets, i loved my boys but im glad i have the girls i have now

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have two boys and two girls and from my experience...

Boys:
more lovey and love attention
more territorial over food, toys, etc.
smell worse but with baths every now and then it's not too bad
were potty trained very easy

Girls:
much more hyper
love to explore
don't fight over anyhting( so far)
hard to potty train
smell much better

Exceptions:
My girl Bug is just as lovey as my boys and is the only one I've seen boggle
Bug isn't anywhere near as hyper as Nani( my other girl)
One of my boys Pip tends to be very active
both my girls and boys urine mark about the same
All are pretty lovey and love attention from me though....love to follow me and crawl all over me

Most of the time there are things you can expect from girls and boys but then there are many rats who don't act how a girl/boy normally would....it's up up you to pick and maybe see what the rats personalities like

1 - 13 of 13 Posts