Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stayed out for a night and left the mother in charge of feeding taking out and overall care of the rats (4girls, 4boys). The cage they have is huge so the girls are down the bottom and boys are up the top and its halved in the middle so they cant get to eachother. The mother called me last night panicking that one of my boys were in the girls cage beside the girls for about an hour before she realised. So yeah, what am I looking for in terms of pregnancy and I know this is a stupid question but is there a chance he could have liked 1 and taken his pick rather than work round them all ?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Considering a lot of breeders use harem breeding (one male and multiple females), it's highly possible that he could have mated with all of them. I would keep a close eye on them all for 3 weeks. Hopefully you'll get lucky with a combination of the girls not being in heat and him being inexperienced.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what am I going to do with 4 pregnant females and like 100 babies! agh I mean it wouldn't have been as bad if a girl got into the boys cage and that's one litter. But 4 litters of rats? there is no way I will be able to get homes for them all :(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Chances are not all of them will be pregnant if any. But since you don't know for sure yet, just keep calm and keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill try but its hard to keep calm lol, ive just given away like £500 worth of cages and such to a charity since buying a new cage ive given away 4 spares that I had and now im going to probably need some more lol, crazy what life throws at you sometimes, but since it was my mother doing she will be helping to take care of the babies if and when they come!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I would ask your vet about getting some Galastop. One dose will terminate the pregnancy quickly and painlessly. If you don't you could very well have a mischief in double digits and soon.
Nanashi and I rescued 50+ rats last year due to an idiotic careless owner, first she had four then BAM! over 50. of all ages.
I'm in no way calling you an idiot or careless (I swear!!) it's just an example. What happens if all four are preggers and they all have large litters? What would you do if you couldn't find good homes for them or everyone that's interested just wants them as feeders?
Nanashi has 11 in her mischief because she couldn't find good homes.

The Galastop would be much kinder on them all, especally if they're really young or older as pregnancy is hard on mama rats. It'll also cost a fortune. You'll need bin cages or tanks, bedding material, Wet cat or dog food that's high in protein, infant soy formula and tiny paintbrushes just in case.

Keep us updated on the situation, sending warm thoughts.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how far into the pregnancy can you do give them galastop? its only been a couple days so maybe I still have time? but I don't know if my vet would prescribe it...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm not sure of the time frame, but the earlier the better. Explain the situation to your vet thoroughly and do your research on galastop. It may be something they've never used, so the more you know and can explain the better. You may even want to take some research with you to prove that it works successfully on rats if your vet seems apprehensive.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my vet is quite open minded and she is the only exotic in the practice, however she is off on holiday just now and the other vets in there are murder to get anything from especially with having rats they are always so worried about giving me anything. Its a long shot but im gonna call in the morning!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts