Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the point of litter to absorb pee and reduce smell? Or do the rats actually like it for some reason? The reason I ask is because we currently only put litter on the bottom most portion of our DCN. Our ratties mainly hang out in the top half and pee and poop all over up there. So if the purpose is to help with the smell then it's not really in a position to do any good unless I put it on every level, which I assume would make a huge mess. (just having it on the bottom makes a mess as it is)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
You can get litter pans from bass co. To prevent mess.

It's actually good at smell but more importantly it's good foraging and digging material. Having an area to do this in (for nests or to find treats) works wonderfully.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Basically it's supposed to be absorbent. Sometimes it can be enriching if the animal likes to dig. I personally like fleece better, it's much easier to clean up.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If they pee and poo up top, I would recommend adding a corner litter box up there where they use the most. Maybe it will help. Rats are sort of lazy, they go where it is convenient.most rats wont travel down to the bottom to do buisness.....lol

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have two litter boxes in my cage, one on the top level and one on the bottom. My boys are very lazy so I had to offer more litter boxes for them. Litter does absorb pee and smell up to a certain point. I change my litter box every three to four days to ensure that odor does not build up. I havw five rats and two litter boxes means less of an odor. =P

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they pee and poo up top, I would recommend adding a corner litter box up there where they use the most. Maybe it will help. Rats are sort of lazy, they go where it is convenient.most rats wont travel down to the bottom to do buisness.....lol
I tried moving the litter box into that corner and the first thing they did was sleep in it. :(

I moved it down a floor and two of them seem to be using it but the other two are just going wherever.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Just take out the middle of your DCN, i have a SRS which is essentially the same design with a few differences and thats what i do. I have a deep layer of substrate in the bottom, and a few hanging cat litter trays through the rest of the cage, but no shelves and no middle level. This creates a loevly big open space i can add lots of climbing to and no smell traps (shelves are a nightmare for this).

I much prefer a decent substrate to fleece, far more absorbant which keeps smells and also irritants down and the rats can dig in it naturally, fleece is pretty but more for the humans than for the rats

1 - 7 of 7 Posts