Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tempy is a black rat with a dark tail. A couple weeks ago I noticed a small patch of discoloration at the bas of his tail. Since then it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone know what's causing this?

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone seen anything like this before? Need to know if it's normal or something I should have checked out.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I haven't seen it before. Is it really dry in your house? Maybe it dry skin. Our house gets really dry in the winter due to the heat being on a lot.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live in the desert, so it's always dry. I bought a humidifier for their room but it only keeps it between 25-30%. Without it it hovers between 12-18%.

But he's been with us for 6 monts now, and this has onlt developed recently. The spots feel softer then the rest of his tail. Like the main scales came off and exposed undeveloped ones underneith. I don't think he's chewing on it though because the little hairs are all stil there. I'd think if he were chewing he'd chew the hairs off too.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It's a slightly mucky tail moulting through to new scales. The scales renew in the same way that fur does though slower. The lighter coloured stuff is newt. The darker older. On marked rats this is made more confusing as they often have markings on there tail. i wouldn't worry about it the scales and tail look in good condition. If the scales stay feeling lumpier or rougher then it might be too du and they need added humidity in the environment and or adding oil to there diet

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok good. He seems fine, and not in pain, but I'm still new to this so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts