Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've taken her to the vet twice, she's not fully grown yet but Idk what age.
Since last christmas she started tilting her head and running in circles. We took her to the vet got that treated with benadryl. In march she started tilting her head but less this time, and she gets very anxious in new areas like in free roam areas she just runs in circles constantly and poops out of nervousness, so we took her to the vet and got more benadryl and head tilting stopped but she still runs in circles. Also this week I noticed red stuff around her face ( I have been told it is poryphyn or something) and she had diahreaa two days in a row last friday. Yesterday when I took her out to free roam she pooped and there was a weird white stringy thing in it.
Does anyone know what she could have?

My other older rat is perfectly fine and hasn't had diahrea.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like she may have an ear infection. I'm not sure how they'd treat that but I imagine with some sort of drops.

As far as the goopy looking stuff on the poop, my rats have had that also and it was only a once in a while thing. Not sure what it is though.

For the stuff around the eyes, it's called porphorin. You can wet a qtip with warm water and pinch it so it's just damp and wipe the eyes and nose to help them clean it off. It basically could mean that they're a little stressed out. It is something that they produce everyday though so I wouldn't worry too much if that's the only symptom.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like she may have an ear infection. I'm not sure how they'd treat that but I imagine with some sort of drops.

As far as the goopy looking stuff on the poop, my rats have had that also and it was only a once in a while thing. Not sure what it is though.

For the stuff around the eyes, it's called porphorin. You can wet a qtip with warm water and pinch it so it's just damp and wipe the eyes and nose to help them clean it off. It basically could mean that they're a little stressed out. It is something that they produce everyday though so I wouldn't worry too much if that's the only symptom.
Yeah that's what the vet said, but I think she might still have something else or maybe the ear infection gave her permanent neurological problems ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think someone had said before in a different post that the running in circles thing has something to do with the ear infection? It makes them off balance or something. I could be wrong. I'll try and find the post.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got the head tilt treated so I don't think she's off balance any more , and she's calm in her cage but when I take her out to free roam she goes crazy and runs all over and when I put her back in her cage she runs around in circles and up and down until she calms down

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That definatly sounds like an inner ear infection but you need to find another vet ASAP. She needs a strong round of antibiotics not frickin benadryl. That vet has no clue how to treat rats.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if we even have another vet where I live , so Idk what we can do. Can we get these antibiotics on our own or use human medicine in smaller amounts ?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You should try a 3 to 6 week dosage of enrofloxacin or amoxicillin. You may also try a topical treatment such as Treasaderm. Ask your vet for at least the amoxi if nothing else. As for the stool, that is nothing to worry about, imho.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should try a 3 to 6 week dosage of enrofloxacin or amoxicillin. You may also try a topical treatment such as Treasaderm. Ask your vet for at least the amoxi if nothing else. As for the stool, that is nothing to worry about, imho.
Do I have to get enroflaxin at the vet or can I find that at a grocery store?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Enrofloxacin is Baytril and you can only get it at the vet. There are a couple places online you can buy it, but I don't know how legit they are.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I've bought all of my AB's off of Ebay.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Go for amocicillin instead of enro. It has a larger target group of bugs it can target. And topical drops combined with amoxi would be best me thinks.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have to go through the vet here where I live. Not sure about other countries.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I just give the amount of amoxicilin it says for rats, daily for 3 to 6 weeks ? How will I know if its working ? Will she stop running frantically ?

·
Registered
680 Posts
You should see improvement in like 3-5 days. If she doesn't improve at all in that time, then it's not working and you need to try something else. If she does improve then keep it up for the full round.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts