Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which foods are the best or best priced for a safe nutritional daily filler for my pet Fancy rat? Me & "Foster" my pet rat that joined me 3 days ago & is finally starting to adjust (thankfully) stated our journey recently were both new to the experience I've never had a pet rat & well He's never had a Human. Anyhow I picked up some Kaytee's rat, hamster & gerble food for Foster when I first got him, I've been told its very bad and has killed rats. I've been told oxpo is the best and its only a few more bucks & the best on the market. What do you think? Also Foster has been sneezing quite frequently since we arrived home from the dredded pet smart. Would you know why he's sneezing. & I was also wondering if Foster needs another Rat Friend to join him in his cage. I've been told that he will get very lonely without a Rat friend along with a Human friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
You should really get a friend so he isn't lonely while you are away. I use the Kaytee pellets but will be switching to Oxbow. Don't be in too much of a panic because a lot of people on here make it sound like a huge deal. Just start looking for coupons for PetSmart or PetCo. Get their cards for deals. Petco is better because you get $5 for every so much spent. PetSmart doesn't do that but does have coupons. I'm lucky because my nephew has lizards and we get crickets every week so I get some good coupons.

·
Registered
918 Posts
As a tip when you switch food brands/ types make sure to do it gradually rather than abruptly stop one food and start another. It's easier on their tummies. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try not to stress the kaytees until I can make it too the store thank you! Some make it sound like a huge no-no. I'd still like some other options from other folks reading this topic. What's your choice of food for your ratty & why?, I'll gradually adjust to his new food when it arrives aswell!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had been feeding them Kaytees, but as of last night I received my order of Oxbow off of Amazon! Now begins the process of gradually switching their food. So far they love the Oxbow! At my local pet stores, Oxbow prices were insane! $14 a 2-3lb. bag! To be honest, my husband and I just could not afford that. However, we checked on Amazon from suppliers who have plenty of reviews to assure quality delivery, and we're able to get Oxbow for $9 per 3lb. bag! That's the same price as Kaytee in store! I was so excited, and ordered 3 bags to start myself off. Definitely check Amazon. They almost always have better deals.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My babies have 2 bowls of food that they have access to all day...teklad lab blocks in one bowl (they love them) and Cheerios and bran flakes in another. Then I supplement with a little bit of fruit (they only seem to like blueberries and grapes and not all of the time), broccoli and peas (which they looooove), and oatmeal, rice, pasta, and coconut milk yogurt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
He's never had a Human.
<3 this made me so happy.
So I personally order Mazuri in bulk which I like because it works for all ages (I add in some extra supplements for babies in addition to the blocks) but this can only be ordered in bulk so isn't that practical for most rat owners. I love Oxbow as well, it is fantastic and easy to pick up!
Sneezing is pretty normal for rats when they change locations as they are adjusting to the new smells in their home. If the sneezing is accompanied with any other symptoms of a respiratory infection however a vet visit may be in order! Other symptoms would include (but are not limited to) poryphorin around the nose or eyes, clicking in the chest, difficulty breathing, lack of thirst or appetite or lethargy.
I would 100% adopt another rattie pal for him to hang out with. Rats, no matter how much time they spend with humans, do need rattie companions to keep them company when we aren't around and for them to snuggle and play with when we are asleep!
There are rats that do not like the company of other rats but this is quite rare.
Enjoy your time with your new friend! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
oxbow is most certainly the best. they have blends for younger and adult rats. i believe the one aimed for young rats can be fed to rats up to 3 months old, and once they're old enough to eat the adult rat blend, slowly transition over. there's actually instructions for that on the back of the bag. make sure to give him some fruits and vegetable snacks frequently, as their diet shouldn't strictly consist of just oxbow/lab blocks!

he definitely needs a cagemate. i'd do some research on introducing rats together, it takes time and doesn't always work out, but they need to be in pairs of at least 2 to be happy and healthy. (but don't get him an un-spayed girl unless you want baby ratties lol)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'll try not to stress the kaytees until I can make it too the store thank you! Some make it sound like a huge no-no. I'd still like some other options from other folks reading this topic. What's your choice of food for your ratty & why?, I'll gradually adjust to his new food when it arrives aswell!
I agree. I just posted another topic and asked for the study on the Kaytee food. Sometimes I feel that some warnings are just age old cautions passed down. I verify everything through several sources and follow it if there is a large consensus. This Kaytee thing came on all of a sudden and now I want to see the study. When there are opposing views, I try to research both sides.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Kaytee used to be a really horrible food, supposedly they have improved the ingredients but the best foods out there are Oxbow Regal Rat or Harlan Teklad lab blocks (I use the HT 2014 formulation for most of my rats. If you are unable to get these look for Living World Extrusion for Hamsters which is surprisingly a decent block for rats :)How old is Foster? If he's a baby you should definitely get him another baby friend (your pic wouldn't open for me).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thank you everybody I like seeing a variety of responces. Anyhow I will check amazon for there oxbow you can't beat $9 a bag for the same price of lower quality food, & I also believe there's both sides to the story id like to see more info on the test from oxbow and kaytee! I'm located around Ithaca new York. I don't know any fancy rat breeders but id prefer to find him a friend from a breeder, foster is still adjusting he's very shy and kinda scared outside of his cage he seems to like me & feel more comfortable he's been laying outside of his house inside his cage instead of hiding which tells me that progress!!!? I'd just like to get a more tame ratty from a breeder if I introduce him to a friend another (Male). Maybe spayed female. Anybody here a breeder local too me?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If you are just looking for socialized there are rescue organizations in New York. Not sure of any decent breeders there as most aren't really trying to improve the health etc, just trying to make fancier colours to sell to people.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anybody here a breeder local too me?
I'm not that close though I have had people come in from NY to pick up ratties before! I do not personally know any NY breeders however, I will keep my ears and eyes open ^.^

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are there rescue organizations in new york that any of you know of? That route never crossed my mind until you mentioned it. Do the rescue shelters work with the rats that are reacured?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would check petfinder.com! Just type in your zip code and select "small & furry" under the animal type, then type in "rat" for breed. Good luck :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feed my rats regal rat rat food. Another good food is oxbow rat food. Stay away from foods with seeds in it. They are extremely fattening and does not give your rats the nutrients that they need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts