Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted to have a wheel for my ratties for a long while, and I just recently gotten one. They're around 3ish months right now, and they haven't really touched the wheel at all.
I've heard that if you introduce it early on, they'll use it. Is 3 months too late?
And if it's not, how do I encourage them to use it?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
3 months isn't too late. One of my rats never had a wheel before, but when I took her in at maybe 5 or 6 months she started using it. All 6 of my girls love their wheels, and I didn't do anything to encourage them. My newest rat is about 6 months old probably, and never had a wheel before, but started using it right away. Another girl has been around wheels since she was 5 weeks, but didn't start using it until about 4 months.

I just always have wheels in the cages, and let them work it out for themselves ^_^ Although I've found that Wodent Wheels are the best, because of the closed front and the holes - rats like to crawl in there, and then discover fun inside ^_^

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mana said:
3 months isn't too late. One of my rats never had a wheel before, but when I took her in at maybe 5 or 6 months she started using it. All 6 of my girls love their wheels, and I didn't do anything to encourage them. My newest rat is about 6 months old probably, and never had a wheel before, but started using it right away. Another girl has been around wheels since she was 5 weeks, but didn't start using it until about 4 months.

I just always have wheels in the cages, and let them work it out for themselves ^_^ Although I've found that Wodent Wheels are the best, because of the closed front and the holes - rats like to crawl in there, and then discover fun inside ^_^
Ahh okay, thanks :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
My girls took to the wheel after about a week. I bought the rats full grown, and they've probably never even seen a wheel. After a week of examining it, i was delighted to see they were using it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i've had my girls for 2 weeks now and they have never used the wheel.
well, they do use it as a toy..they climb on top of it and they're rolled to the base of their cage, which i guess is fun for them! xD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.