Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my two boys neutered on the 13th of January and was wondering when I can put them in the big cage with my unspayed girls? I read somewhere as a precaution you should wait awhile to make sure there is no extra sperm floating around somewhere. But how long? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Research has shown that at 10 days after neutering, they are sterile. I don't have the link right now because I'm on my phone, but I can find it later if you want. It was an interesting read.

Some disagree with 10 days. My vet told me to wait two full weeks, but I introduced Pooka to Anya at 10 days and she did not get pregnant. You need to decide if the risk is worth it to you though. For Pooka, he had already been alone far too long, so waiting wasn't worth it to me.

Two weeks is the generally accepted time, though, so if you feel more comfortable waiting, that is the max you need to wait. :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I waited 2 full weeks because I have 5 older girls and did not need any sort of scares! It took another week of intros and cage swapping before my boy was able to live full time with all the girls.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I read that at least 8 to 10 days is what you need. Just as everyone here says. I waited two weeks post surgery because my boy's wounds would not heal properly at first.

·
Registered
996 Posts
http://www.ratbehavior.org/Neutering.htm Here is the link I was talking about. There's definitely nothing wrong with waiting two weeks, just to be safe. I was desperate for Pooka to have a companion, so I took a calculated risk. I also watched him closely for any signs of wanting to mate. He never tried. Not even once. She actually mounted him a few times though. :p

I think I got really lucky with Pooka because I haven't had to do any real intros with him. I put him and Anya on a couch and they fell in love instantly and he was so gentle with her even though he'd not had any real experience with other rats since he was a baby. Eevee adored him from the start and Monkey just loves everyone and he tolerates her hyper-ness better than the other girls. Neutered males are awesome. I'm getting every male neutered from now on, even if I have no females.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts