Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It depends a lot on the rat and its sex. Boys tend to stop length wise about 6 to 9 months but are still filing out muscle wise at 12 months plus. Girls tend to be a bit earlier, getting there full length at around 5 or 6 months then finish filling out around 7 or 8 months.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It depends a lot on the rat and its sex. Boys tend to stop length wise about 6 to 9 months but are still filing out muscle wise at 12 months plus. Girls tend to be a bit earlier, getting there full length at around 5 or 6 months then finish filling out around 7 or 8 months.
I actually just had this discussion with my vet since I was asking her how long I should continue the 18% protein food. She said sort of the same thing but that it can vary rat to rat. Some stop growing sooner than others. She said that as long as they are gaining weight regularly, consider they are still growing and keep them on the higher protein food. Once they stop growing, their weight will stabilize and remain fairly constant. That's when you know that they are done growing.

My girls are 5 mths old and all weigh in the 250gm range so they're definitely still growing.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would actually recommend moving them off the higher protien food for there general longevity as soon as the rapid growth phase is over (trends to be around 8 weeks ish). Excess protien encourage growth which is good to a point, however too rapid growth leads to rats who put on weight more easily in later life and age faster. For optimum lifespan you want to give them just enough for what they need. This is best done by feeding a lower protien diet and topping them up with extras (via wet meals say) when there bodies tell you they need it, looking at there coat (when it gets long and a bit scruffy) and there tails ( they have a Square edge to the tails) tells you that they need a bit extra then.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Isamurat- thanks, but for the time being I've been told not to give them anything extra until the intestinal infections were all cleared. I just finished treating all my girls for an overgrowth of bacteria in their intestine with TMS (Bactrim). Then Willow was having diarrhea and I took her again to be checked and her stool showed clostridium, so now she's on Metronidazole. The other girls are clear as far as I can tell and Willow's diarrhea has stopped after a week on the antibiotics.

I'm anxious to be able to start feeding them more variety again but I just need to get the all clear first. I'm sure they're ready too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts