Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what happened but I came home from work just now and my youngest rat Anna has what looks like a big bite mark of flesh off her neck. She's been living with Brigitta since she was two months old. Shes now 11 months. They fought a tad at first but i figured it was about establishing dominance and neither ever physically hurt the other. I know the two of them still sometimes argue over treats but again it never seemed out of hand, no physically injuries, no blood etc. Just mostly a little bit of squeaking. I wondered if maybe Anna just caught her neck on something but it doesn't seem possible. For now I threw her into my other rats cause I don't want Brigitta to do anything else to her. Those girls do free range with Anna so they aren't strangers and they've been in a cage together before. Whenever i clean Anna and Brigittas cage I put them in this cage with Eponine and arielle it has always been fine. Her being in their cage isn't anything new but I'm watching them though and already Annas had a stand off with Eponine and made Arielle squeak. Almost makes me wonder if she did something to make Brigitta snap. Shes acting super agressive with everyone tonight. its weird too cause Arielle is the most chill easy going rat ever and Anna made her mad in less than 10 minutes. The other factor though is Brigitta does have a mammary tumor. are those known to cause agression or biting?? were working on getting that fixed just vet bills are expensive and she just so happened to get sick right after we used our savings funds to help with an URI. Is Anna maybe acting up cause she just got a chunk of her neck lost? How do I treat her neck? I've never has a ratty cut before.
I'm going to put her in the travelling cage overnight but that's clearly a temporary solution. It's not very big and she is not happy about it and it's also causing lots of stress poops. She's also never lived alone and she doesn't seem happy about it. I just don't know what else to do with her for tonight. She was making Eponine really mad about something and I don't want another injury. Why is she suddenly hating on everyone.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My vet told me brigitta needs to live alone now. Can a lone rat really be happy?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Firstly I wouldn't keep mixing your groups during free range time as that will be quite stressful and cause problems with the social dynamics in both groups. We can only guess why she got bit.. It could be anything such as rise in hormones, defensive sick rat, strong smell of the other group, harassing to play etc. I will let other people give advice about treating the neck wound and if its time she should be kept alone. I can say though that a rat can be fine on it's own if you put the time and effort into her care. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never even thought of the stress of mixing groups but now that you say that you're probably right. That kind of worries me now cause I just got them a rat mansion cage so they could live together but I guess I should probably do a slower introduction to the new cage and the concept of living together and keep an eye on the sick one. Now after researching my girls neck wound I'm having a had time determining if it's really from a fight or some disease. I may have to get a vet to see her. It brings me some peace when you say rats can be okay alone if you put the time and effort into them though. that way brigitta maybe can still have a good life even if things don't work out as we hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts