Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new baby rat today and she's tiny...77 grams and looks like a big mouse. When should I introduce her to my other two (both female). One is huge and the other is mid-size and I don't think it would be a good idea to do it for awhile?

-MT :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd keep them apart (in separate rooms) for a couple weeks, to make sure the new baby is healthy, not because of the size issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forensic said:
I'd keep them apart (in separate rooms) for a couple weeks, to make sure the new baby is healthy, not because of the size issue.
Thanks. I was worried about such a tiny rat being with the huge one...not sure what would happen if they didn't get along. In my short time as a rat owner I've never seen any fighting but I suppose it does happen.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It does.

My boys have always accepted younger rats more easily than older rats.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Michelle-Tanner said:
In my short time as a rat owner I've never seen any fighting but I suppose it does happen.

It does happen, I lost a 6-8 week old rat once to a 6 month old rat. They had several play times together before going into a completely new cage to both of them together, but within 2 days the older one killed the younger one. They were fighting a lot but there was never any blood so we let them just work it out.

Since then we've had two more baby rats with older rats and everything has been fine. (other than illnesses)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts