Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

A few weeks ago, I adopted two new baby rats after one of my older guys passed away. I now have one remaining older guy who's about 2 years and 10 months old, and the two new babies who are roughly 8 or 9 weeks. I've been keeping the babies quarantined and attempting to bond with them before doing introductions.

I'm wondering if I should just go ahead with introducing them all together even if the new guys haven't quite bonded with me yet? Or would it be best to wait until they're a bit more comfortable with me?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Aw, so wonderful you are adding some babes! Do you bond in a pen or bathtub or bed? How long have you been bonding?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, so wonderful you are adding some babes! Do you bond in a pen or bathtub or bed? How long have you been bonding?
I've been giving them treats (cheerios, freeze dried apples, carrots) when I go by their cage. I let them spend time sniffing my hands and rewarding them for it. I've tried holding them and putting them in my sweatshirt pocket, but they seem a little afraid of being picked up still. The breeder who I adopted them from told me to just handle them and carry them around as much as possible, but it's hard when they get scared and wiggle out of my hands.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Okay, try the bathtub method. Wear a baggy old robe, put towels down in the bottom of the tub, then sit in the tub with them with a wet treat like baby food or cereal on a metal spoon. They will come to you for safety, hide in your robe and come out to explore when they feel confident. Then you reward with the wet treat they can lick from the spoon. Pick each one up with both hands, kinda scoop, and hold him to your face and give kisses, say his name and put him down. Do this quickly so they don't get scared.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts