Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm very excited.. I am picking up some new babies from a breeder this weekend. I am actually getting 6 (2:4). There are no breeders in my area, so I was very pleased to be able to meet up with this breeder from out of state (hence why I'm getting so many new ratties)... Most will be dumbo (except 1) and about half will be velveteen.

My question for you guys, regards when to introduce the female pups, as I have never had to do intros with females before. I know that some females will kill other females if they see them as "pups" and there are less problems with introducing adult females.

What age would be "safe" to introduce them? The pups I'm getting look to be between 6 and 8-9 weeks (two younger, two older), so I'm not sure if they would all be old enough to safely introduce. I could keep them all separate for quite some time if needed, but I do not have a very large cage to quarantine the new females in (it is a petco rat manor) so I was hoping to intro them sooner, since my current females live in a DCN.

If you have any advice, that would be great! I will follow standard introduction protocol (neutral ground, fully cleaned sanitized rearranged cage, etc.).

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
12 weeks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I introduced my youngest girl when she was about 8 weeks and things have turned out OK. My 3 older girls were 5 months (?) at the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts