Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat had a chick pea sized mammary tumor removed this past April. It came back in August and is now three times the size. We scheduled a vet appointment for today regarding a second tumor removal surgery but noticed last night she had vaginal bleeding which indicates either she has pyometra or a uterine tumor (or something else). While free ranging today she walked with her legs stretched out as well as her lower back stretched out (as if in discomfort or pain).

It is obvious that we shouldn't go ahead with the surgery since she has a secondary problem that can only be fixed with spaying. When is the right time to pts? I love this little girl so much and have been lucky have had her for over two years (she is 2 years and 4 months old).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,527 Posts
I would run her to the vet as soon as possible before she suffers major blood loss (lethargy, shock, cold, appetite loss). On the one hand just maybe antibiotics could help on the other you want to put to sleep sooner than later considering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would run her to the vet as soon as possible before she suffers major blood loss (lethargy, shock, cold, appetite loss). On the one hand just maybe antibiotics could help on the other you want to put to sleep sooner than later considering.
Which antibiotic? Clavamox or Baytril? My rat doens't have profuse bleeding just little bits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
I'd talk to your vet, have them do an exam and discuss her attitude and her condition. We had a dog who was severally arthritic, her entire spine was the worst the vet had. But if not in pain she was spunky and happy so we got her on pain meds and she bounced back for a few weeks till some other issue popped up and she stopped eatinf and dropped 30lbs in less then a week. The vet was frank and said the signs did not look promising, she had given up. If you and your vet think she can be treated and is still enjoying life, I wouldnt pts yet. But if she is slipping down the slope to pain and misery then pts before that might just be the kind thing to so. tell your vet to be as frank as possible with you. I know some like to sugar coat things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
I will share with you my experience...

My rat had vaginal tumors and cervical cancer.... The cervical cancer was spreading and causing bleeding....

Cervical cancer (and it's spreading) is apparently something this vet has seen more than pyometra.

In the end, since her cancer had spread , the cancer returned quickly after her surgeries even though I had her spayed and had most of her cervix removed... She was my heart rat. And although I was happy to have her for the extra month, the spay and recovery was so much on her tiny body, and I feel like I should have let her go in peace sooner... I was trying my best to save her but at the point when the cancer spread, it's so hard to say whether you will actually be saving them.

You can have her spayed and such, and hope that the uterine or cervical or vaginal cancer hasn't spread, and remove her mammary tumours again. But... It's also possible that the mammary tumors an the bleeding are related cancers and that it is not pyometra (pyometra is more rare than malignant cancer), in which case it has already spread ....
I know this is painful to hear, trust me- my chip took a piece of my heart and soul with her and I miss her horribly and still cry every day nearly for her- but if you think it is time and you are holding on for you instead of her.... You can check out my previous posts; the rats' name was Chip.

It's up to you, there is no wrong decision here.... Double check the method that is used for PTS before you get there!!! And make arrangements for how you want them buried, cremated, etc.
I have had two sick rats PTS and I wish someone had told me what I told you.
I also had a three year old girl with mammary tumors and when I look at pictures of her before she was PTS, I realise she had deteriorated so much, and looking back I knew deep down it was time to let her go..... I don't regret it. Those smart babies let you know when they are tired and need to rest....

so.... :) you are in my thoughts and I'm sorry you have to go through this.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for sharing your heartbreaking stories. I lost my heart rat last November and of course don't want to loose my second heart rat this November, but will do what is needed to ensure she does not suffer (no rat can replace the first heart rat I had...ever).

My vet palpitated my girl's lower abdomen and she didn't react and no blood came out. It was as if nothing was happening. I was sent home with antibiotics and was advised to leave the tumor alone for now to see if her bleeding issues subside. It will be a wait and see approach. Although my rat isn't showing symptoms of slowing down at the moment, they can go downhill fast. When she does it will be time to let her go peacefully out of love, respect, and unselfishness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,577 Posts
Uterine issues like tumors and pyometra/hematometra (pyo is pus, hemo is blood) are very painful, so I'd call the vet back and ask about some children's ibuprofen and if they think it's a good idea.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top