Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Sybil has been showing signs of distress lately, and I'm not sure when it would be appropriate to put her to sleep. She's still eating but has been exhibiting obvious signs of cancer. I suspected liver cancer, and indeed I can feel a hard mass under her rib cage. She ran out of kibble yesterday, but I haven't bought her a new bag because she probably doesn't have much longer to go.

Anyway, I've noticed her eating large amounts of litter lately, she is lethargic, reclusive, and underweight. She's still eating though. Yesterday she was really digging into a slice of peach and seemed to be enjoying it. Her cagemate was pts a few weeks ago because she had a pituitary tumor, and Sybil has seemed depressed since then.

What would you do in this situation? I've only had one rat die naturally in my care and I still feel really bad about it. Seems like just yesterday I was carrying her home in a little box.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Could she be starving becuase she isn't getting her food? If she's eating litter, that mass may be an impaction in her gut. Is she eating the litter and the peach so excitedly because that's the only food she's had in a while?

I would definitely not stop feeding her because you're assuming she will die soon...

What has the vet said about her and your suspecting of liver cancer? You can also feel their poop in their abdomen when feeling their gut, it's possible you just felt poop too (or an impaction).

I would definitely buy her food and let her eat! Try taking her to the vet and see what they think, then you can know if she actually has limited time left, or if it's actually something not serious at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, buy her some food. If, sadly she does pass, you can donate the remaining food to your local shelter. When my chinchilla passed, naturally, I put her remaining food in a bowl and put it outside just to see what would happen. The squirrels ended up having quite the feast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts