Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pretty sweet cage from Petco today, because it was on clearance. I didn't really like any of their rat cages, and I was really just in there to get some bedding, but it was originally $70 and I got it for like $10. So anyways, it's really nice and big, the bar spacing is perfect for my rattie mom and the babies, and it has a nice, deep plastic base. Only problem is that I need to get some platforms that i can clip onto a wire cage somehow so I can make different levels in the cage. Does anyone know any good places for them...?

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you have enough money, there are small add-on levels that you can put right in your cage... but I find that they aren't worth it. They're wire, which means that they have to be covered with something to protect your rat's feet. Here's a link:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind.../00000000/00002599&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

I've heard of people using plexiglass, since it's easy to wipe down. But again, I think it might be a little pricey.

I also know that people use linoleum to cover the levels in their cages, but I don't know if it would be strong enough on its own. Maybe you could use wood and cover it with linoleum?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely don't mind covering the levels with fabric...I'm a big dork and love sewing stuff...as long is it's for my rats!!! haha

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i can pick up a roll of PVC-coated hardware cloth from home depot (or somewhere similar, i'm sure you could find it) for about $8 and then i cut it to size with wire cutters and attach it to the sides of the cage (mine is a bird cage) with small zip-ties. it was very easy to do and i got to be as creative as i wanted. :)

for covering the floors, you could then stick on linoleum if you want, but i go get a yard of fleece out of the scrap bin from wal-mart or similar for about $3 and i cut fleece out to the same size as each level. i snip little holes in each corner and attach the fleece with binder rings from office max. very cheap and easy to clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts