Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leeloo is a few months old, a feeder baby, that I got yesterday. She allows you to pet her but she is very scared and hides when she is out, since yesterday she will come out for a few seconds and allow me to hold her from the same amount of time. She likes to stay in my sleeve and will preen in there, she is comfortable with my older female who is very social and is starting to come out a little more when Squeak moves around the cage or on the couch. I was wondering where I should go next with her training as she seems to be in between stages. She doesnt take food from my hands all the time, but she has once.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping to get her acclimated to me, she just really wants to burrow and hide the person had her in a carrier with some bedding when she brought her to me and she was trying to burrow and hide under it

·
Registered
872 Posts
You only got her yesterday! Give her some time and let her get adjusted to you and her surroundings. Then read the sticky thread on Immersion Training.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When I first got my boys the first thing I worked on was recognizing their names. It's something you can start immediately. Say her name a lot and call her by her name. I'd give treats to my boys and croon to them their names. I want them to make that connection right away so I can get their attention easily. Other than that give her time to adjust and once she seems to be comfy with you and Squeak. Once they are happily playing and grooming each other is when I'd say they're buddies and she feels secure. Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, Ive never had a baby on my own and our past few ones just got super socialized because my little sister wouldnt leave them alone, haha. Her and Squeak are sleeping together, Squeak is climbing the ladder (which is hard for her sometimes) to go lay with LeeLoo they get along well and LeeLoo is starting to follow Squeaks lead. Im holding her/letting her sit on me/in my sleeve and saying her name right now since she wont take food from my hands quite yet

Ive read the Immersion thread a few time and am still a little confused on what exactly Im supposed to be doing with her

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
For now it's all about building a relationship and understanding her movements and behaviors and getting her to be comfortable around you and to understand that you are a really big friend. Once you establish your bond and get basic communication started move to teaching her, her name, basic commands like come and up on shoulder or hand and the potty and other rules in your home like no chewing on any electronic equipment with a apple embossed into it and no walking on a keyboard. Bonding always comes first, then basic communication, then training.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have a leather case on my iPad and it has little ratty chew marks all along the edge. I've also had more then one of them pee right on the screen. They're durable and as long as they don't break it I don't care. It'll likely get passed to a family member when I upgrade anyway, so it's not like I need to retain resale value. The only reason I have a case on it is so I can stand it up on my night stand and watch TV in bed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.