Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a huge cage cleaning day each week. When I clean the cage, the lil ratties are put on the table with lots of toys. My sister watches them while I do all the stuff I gotta do. They get bored and try to get off the table. So after that I tried putting them in a box, but they hated it SO much. I can't clean the cage properly because I can't put the boys anywhere!

PLEASE give some suggestions! What do you guys do?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I have put them in a rat-proofed bathroom. I have made coroplast ratty corrals (easiest and cheapest), and I also have a Martin's playpen. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a playpen I put the two in during cleaning--- and the littlest one I put in the smallest cage when it is done--- just because she likes to explore everything and everywhere. But she also has a ball that she loves and I sometimes put her in that.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I have two cages we've updated from to put them in, or I clean with them in it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a cat carrier which I put them both in (the one they go in to the vet). It has a hammock, lots of toys and food and water. Then once their cage is clean I get them out for a play, the let them back into their clean housey!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Forensic said:
That would be impossible for me. I would be getting licked the entire time.

Phobie said:
I have a cat carrier which I put them both in (the one they go in to the vet). It has a hammock, lots of toys and food and water. Then once their cage is clean I get them out for a play, the let them back into their clean housey!
Thats exactly what I do! And that is how the cat carrier is Setup!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 10 gallon aquarium that is half full of shredded paper that has dried fruit treats hidden in various places. I put the girls in there and they have a blast burrowing around and finding treasure (mesh top so they can't escape). I think they are actually disappointed when I'm finished and they have to come out of that tank. It's one of their favorite places.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Matt said:
Forensic said:
That would be impossible for me. I would be getting licked the entire time.
My boys just redecorate as I'm decorating.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I sometimes let them play on the bed, while trying to keep an eye on them. If they get into too much trouble, or I lose track of anyone for too long, I stick them all into old cages. Last week though I cleaned their cage one half at a time, since the upper and lower levels of the FN can be blocked off. That worked pretty well, and I didn't have to worry about them and they still had plenty of room and didn't get in my way (cleaning it with them all in there just does not work ^^; ). I'll probably do that from now on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use my sister's old hamster cage (her hamster is now in a bad excuse for a 'rat' cage, but makes for a nice hamster cage). It's fairly small, but she's only in it for a little while and she has a hammock that she sleeps in so she's happy. Plus it was only $15 when she bought it so I wouldn't mind buying another when I get more rats, though I'll probably have my sister hold one of them while I clean the cage, or just lock them in one half.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts