Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my new ones who I got about three weeks ago, looks like they already got some. I've been trying hard to not have this happen, completely washed the cages before putting them in, been showering as soon as I came home from work before handling them, washing hands, etc. I have some ivermectin to use, but it's just kinda weird.

·
Registered
664 Posts
What kind of bedding do you use? Often times eggs will hitch a ride in the commercial bedding (aspen, carefresh, etc..) which is why it's recommended that you should freeze it before using it. Where do you work that you would pick up rat lice?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Pet rats can most commonly get lice through contact with wild rodents, contact with infested pet rodents, through bedding and litter (less common since lice do not live long off the host but does happen). They are easy to treat and if you are careful about freezing any bedding prior to use and know for sure there aren't any wild rodents neaby, there shouldn't be a re-infestation. Remember to treat every rat you have or they will just re-infest each other. Fairly easy to sort out with Revolution. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts