Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious where everyone here quarantines new rats. Since it has to be done in a separate airspace, where is everyone finding separate airspaces? My boys were quarantined at my boyfriend's apartment, but now they live there so now that's out. How do you find someone who knows enough about rats to take care of them for weeks but doesn't have rats themselves?

I'm not planning on getting any more any time soon (I am not letting the number of rats I have creep into double digits - that's too many for me!), but I'm still wondering about this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My rats are quarantined at my boyfriend's house. He knows what he's doing, and if he makes a mistake it's easy enough for me to "chew him out". I'm also there often enough I can still visit them (putting myself through "quarantine" afterwards of course, before going back home).

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I can't quarantine in a seperate airspace, but I make every effort to keep every aspect of the new rats lives separate from my rats.

I live in a 2 bedroom terrace house with my parents and sister - the best I can do is put them in an upstairs room at the opposite side of the house and ensure that my clothes and hands/arms and face are washed thoroughly in between handling.

((EDIT: Doors are also kept closed - not that this will stop germies, but it stops the cats and dog entering the room and picking up nasties to pass on))

I would love to be able to quarantine effectively, but unfortunately I belong to a family (family members outside my immediate family) and have friends who view pet rats as a joke, so asking them to QT any for me is out of the question :(

Although, I am trying to persuade the 'rents that adding a conservatory/extra living area to the back of the house with a separate entrance is a VERY GOOD idea - so if that goes through, that shall be my QT room

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am lucky - I work at a hospital that doesn't treat rats...

So I can do it that way... and they get played with.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well, we don't get rats from any outside sources as *our* personal rats [anymore], we end up adopting the unwanted and permanent residents. They're already quarantined by the time we "adopt" them. ;) Before the rescue, we used neighbors or family.

For the rescue, we have volunteers that quarantine. They have either had rats in the past, or love rats but don't want to keep their own.

Some ideas if anyone's looking for them are to check with your vet... Maybe someone who works there wouldn't mind helping. Friends, family, neighbors, significant others... Sometimes, your work place could double as a q-tine space (if it's safe and there's somewhere for them to go, and they can be cleaned and played with). If you're a teen (or not) who babysits, ask the families you sit for. If you're a member of rat clubs/forums/sites, ask people close to you who they use - a lot of times, the person q-tining doesn't mind doing it for others.

Honestly, just ask people. The worst they say is no, right? If someone likes rats, but isn't sure, teach them how to care for them and ask if they'd like a 3-week "trial run". :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't had to quarantine any rats yet, but when I get my two males in the near future, I will have to do it on the oppostie side of the house because I have no one else that can watch them. :(

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If I am taking in a rat from someone who needs to surrender their pet I typically arrange to meet the rat where it resides & then do checks for two weeks before moving to a new location.

If I have to remove them immediately from a previous owner, such as take them the day I meet them, I will move them to an entirely different home not my own. I have 3 locations that I can keep intakes. In this case they may go to quarantine for 4 weeks or more so that I can determine if they have sick sniffles or just moved sniffles. So far I have never had to use these homes & I'm glad, too many moves causes too much stress. I am also extremely selective as to who I take. I have a big heart & room for lots of ratties but I also know I can't save them all. Since I really don't plan to rehome the rescues I take in I have to be very selective. I could find myself over-run with ratty-love if I took in every rat I encountered.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
because i have 1 rat with a big tumor about to burst (we are lucky to have had him this long) and my oldest one is almost 3 years and they havent gotten sick.....well my oldest one did but he got out of it so i havent had a need to do that

·
Registered
520 Posts
So, it isn't that you won't QT, you just haven't been in the position to need to?

Odds are, at some point you will need to, and I recommend starting your research now. :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sparker said:
So, it isn't that you won't QT, you just haven't been in the position to need to?

Odds are, at some point you will need to, and I recommend starting your research now. D
if it happens i will move one of them upstairs and keep the others downstairs

·
Registered
549 Posts
ratrover said:
Sparker said:

Odds are, at some point you will need to, and I recommend starting your research now. D
if it happens i will move one of them upstairs and keep the others downstairs
that does absolutely nothing against air borne disease. You wont need the quarantine the rats you already have from each other, you would need to quarantine any new rats you get from rats you already have

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I almost adopted new rats recently, and I was going to QT them at a friends house. I've decided against it though and considering how much my new job takes out of me I am glad I did. I'm finding it difficult to juggle time between work/sleep/boyfriend/ and many animals now ): It was easier before.

But I have her to qt healthy rats. I recently almost tried to pursue another friend into giving me her sick rat she wasn't caring for properly but knew my qt house friend didn't have the no how or the patience to care for her. I was stuck with instructing my friend on how to bring her back to health the best she could given her finances. The rat did get a little better but I haven't heard any recent updates ): Still I did suggest that if she were to continue antibiotic therapy and needed someone else to care for the rat next month after the illness (hopefully) passed I would take the rat in. In that case I would have her qt the rat. She didn't respond to my e-mail of that suggestion though. Which I'm kind of hoping she doesn't because her rat is a female and might always have damaged lungs so getting her spayed will probably be out of the question.

So yeah, that's how I do it. I used to qt in a seperate room but have heard too many horror stories by now to settle for that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I QT at my parent's place, an hour away :D. Although I want to bring my numbers down from 8, so no QTing for a while..........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts