Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I heard that one should use filtered water or water that is a bit safer than tap water? Is that entirely true?

I purchased a Brita pitcher that I was going to fill with water and then allow the filter to filter out any bad components of my tap water. The problem is: the pitcher states that the filter may let off silver particles. Harmless to humans, but not sure about the rat boys. :(

Or

Should I somehow check the source of my own tap water and as long as it doesn't contain X, Y, and/or Z chemicals, it should be fine for the rats?

I want to make this as easy as possible for me, but also safe for the rats. I don't want to purchase Arrowhead each time I need to fill their bottle. :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
555 Posts
You can always buy distilled water from Wal mart or any other grocery store if you're concerned about your tap water not being safe for your rats. It's under 2$ for a jug. Although, I've always given them tap water that's been kept cold in my fridge so I'm interested in what others say they do as well.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I use spring water. A gallon of spring water costs about $1.29 and will fill their water bottles many times.

I've heard that flouride is not good for rats. If your tap water has flouride then I'd definitely keep a bottle of Spring water around.

·
Registered
539 Posts
You may want to check for chlorine if you decide to use tap water.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all and thanks for responding! I'm sorry I just now noticed these responses. :)

How would I check my tap water for chlorine and/or fluoride?

For now, I'm just going to grab a few gallons of Target brand mineral water (in the jugs). That should be safe.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You can call your local water district to ask about additives in the water. Chlorine will dissipate from the water quite quickly, but fluoride will not. Also since you are so far west, the water will be very hard, so the Britta filters may not last as long as you would expect. I was going to use one type of water filter here in Pahrump, NV, but changed my mind when I found that due to our water hardness the filters would only last for 2 uses. Personally, I often use colloidal silver for its antibacterial properties and wouldn't expect it to be released by the Britta filter in quantities that would pose a danger to rats, but will the Britta filter remove fluoride?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responding, Raindear. :)

I'm not sure if the Brita filter would remove the fluoride. I suppose I can do some research.

I use a Brita pitcher for my own drinking water, and I notice that the taste is pretty good. I just was worried about the silver carbons!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The BRITA cartridge is not designed to remove fluoride. Some fluoride is naturally present in tap water, whilst some water companies add fluoride to the water. If you are concerned about the presence of fluoride in your tap water, you should check with your water supplier.
http://www.brita.com.au/brita/au-au/cms/questions-about-products-and-water-filtration/faq.grid

A
fter reading the above I went and read up about my water supply (Since I had been giving my girls brita water) My local area's water has 1mg per litre of water (So one drop in one thousand) Should I be concerned or is that negligible?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Fluoride can be a very controversial subject. If it were me, naturally occurring fluoride in water systems would be less a worry than community added fluoride. The CDC recommendation is between 0.7 mg/L and 4 mg/L. You can do with this information what you will. Personally, I don't really want added fluoride in my water supply. Either for my rats or myself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just read this on my city's website...where my city fluoridates at 1 drop per 13 gallons of water:

"Fluoride in levels administered for drinking water is safe for humans and all animals."

However, it does state that my water is treated with Chloramine (a mixture of chlorine and ammonia). That tells me I won't be giving my boys tap water. I think bottled water is the safe way to go.

Then again, how "safe" is bottled water?

I refuse to let paranoia dictate how I enjoy my life with my rats. :)

I can only do my best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts