Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to owning rats and got my first two girls yesterday, who are settling into a temporary cage until I have bought a new one.

I am in the UK and most pet stores don't have good size cages, the few that do charge a ridiculous amount and as a result, I have been looking online instead.

The cage that keeps catching my eye is the Savic Royal Suite 95. It seems a decent size but I have a few concerns.

The bar gap is 16mm, is that going to be alright with female rats? They're not huge girls but they aren't tiny, either.

Is it enough room for them? I have seen larger cages but for two girls, just how much space do they need? The measurements are L95 x W63 x H120cm without the wheeled base.

So keen to order a cage but want to get advice/tips first.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thats a very nice cage. Plenty big enough for a couple girls, and lots of extra room if you ever added to your mischief. Even tiny girls should not be able to go through the bars. To get an idea of what it looks like set up and with rats living in it, check out the sticky thread of critter nation cages. It's the same size and bar spacing. Pretty close to the same cage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! Thank you for responding. I had a look at the thread of Critter Nation cages like you suggested, very similar. It's certainly helped give me an idea of what it would be like, a little more. :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm not sure if Martin's ships to the UK, but it might be paying the extra cost for shipping as their cages are very high quality and spacious.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Savic Royal Suite 95 is top of the line here in Europe. I got it for my 3 girls I'll be getting.

It's a HUGE cage and opens up fully in the front. If you can afford it I recommend it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I did not like my Martin's. It was difficult to clean and unwieldy and with all the little corners and things I couldn't get all the pee out so it always smelled a little. The most expensive one costs almost as much as a DCN (more when powder coated which is necessary) but affords less space. It's also really difficult to hang hammocks, add wheels etc and I always got scratched by mine when cleaning it.

The Savic looks great :) i like that it includes deep pans so you can use bedding if you want instead of fleece.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the comments. I have ordered the Savic Royal Suite 95, it looks ideal for my two girls and I can't wait to fill it with various items for them, so excited!

·
Registered
863 Posts
KayRatz, which model of Martin's did you have such difficulty with?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
the rat tower. the doors on mine were really small which was another issue i had but it looks like they changed that at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts