Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a critter nation so this may just sound like a ridiculous question.

My critter nation is giving me some issues, hanging hammocks can be hard, I already have Bass pans, and still I end up with litter everywhere. Its a mess plus I just want a smaller cage.

I am looking at this one. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27898

I feel like if I take out all the levels, hanging hammocks should be nice and easy, its a nice deep pan, its a smaller floorspace but should still make for happy rat girlies.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Couldn't you just put a deeper pan on your CN?
With both doors opening it shouldn't be a problem to put one in.

But if you really want a smaller cage then I think that one is great.
Plenty of room for your girls to climb and play.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If your problem is the rats kicking the litter out of the cage then I think you will have this same problem with the new cage. Most of the rodents I've ever owned have in one way or another kicked or piled/pushed loose bedding out of the cage and onto the floor or table, no matter how deep the pan was, haha.

Is there a reason you use loose bedding instead of fleece? I've really enjoyed switching to fleece and litter boxes when I upgraded my rats to the DCN. I hated how much they kicked out all the carefresh back when they stayed in their smaller cage (the pan was probably 4" deep in the old cage).

I hope you find a good solution!

·
Registered
908 Posts
You can get deep cement mixing tubs (can't remember if they're lowes or home depot) that fit inside the CN too. So that might be a cheaper and deep option. I am going to switch back to bedding in my CN once I get steel pans for it, I'm sure my girls will be kicking stuff out of it onto the floor again, but I'm willing to put up with that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use to use fleece but when I moved I was told I can not use this washer for rat laundry. So ... yeah. Since I dont drive i had no choice.

I also tried cement mixing pans, I HATED them.

I really need a smaller cage due to space, and I am loving that this pan slides out. I may switch back to my DCN once I have more space but we will see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.