Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or are they both the same? With the females being more energetic does that mean they interact less with humans than the males?

Do rats really interact more with humans than, lets say, mice or gerbils?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Elythador said:
Or are they both the same? With the females being more energetic does that mean they interact less with humans than the males?

Do rats really interact more with humans than, lets say, mice or gerbils?
Rats are very much individual, so you cannot say with sex would be more intelligent. Some females are very smart, but another girl might be too driven to explore to have the same attention span to learn. some males are very intelligent too, but then some are too laidback to even care to learn a "trick".

Rats, once they are tamed and socialized, on average, love people. We are the best rat toys ever! We feed them, we play with them, etc...whats not to like? Rats, unlike hammies, gerbils, mice can truly learn their name and will come when you call. There's a reason they are used in behavioral tests in labs. They can learn :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was surprised that Mister (my hamster) responds to his name as well. I think they are a bit slower on the uptake then rats but they do learn names.

But still he seems to not GET some things that seem like common sense to rats. I truly think he thinks he is going somewhere when he runs on the wheel all night :) And he is more for go go going then sitting down and cuddling although he does like to go from hand to hand to hand to hand etc etc forever :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I found that my hamsters used to recognise my voice, aka I'd walk in the room and give them all a harty "good morning kiddywinkles!" and they would all pop their heads up and come see. But, I could walk in and say 'good morning, heroin (yes I had a hamster called heroin)' and the reaction would be the same from all of them.

With the rats though, I'll call a name and the corresponding rat will pop up and the rest may ignore me or give me a curious glance but the rat i called will be jumping on the bars of the cage. I think that's quite clever.

Of course it means that saying goodnight to them takes 18 times longer as I have to say goodnight to every single one individually o_O lol

But yes, in response to the thread, I don't think there is much difference in the intelligence of females and males (even though if there was, we know who would be smarter, ey girls? ;)) and it's very much down to the individual personality of the rats you are training

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess potentially every rat has the ability to be smart, it just depends on the amount of time you put in. As for names do you think it would be best if they were 1 syllable words. I want to call my rats Han and Chewy but I think I might be getting females now because they smell less although I really want boys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have teaced my boys various trics. They learned quite easily. I think that intelligence doesn depend on gender.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i have rats with 3 syllable names and they learned their names just as quickly as the rats with one syllable.

are you concerned with the smell of males based on experience or based on what you have read? a lot of the times what you hear about the smell will be exaggerated. there is a noticeable difference in smell but not that huge of one. you may want to clean the cage slightly more often then if you had females because the males' marking can be stronger scented but that's not too big a deal really. and if the smell gets to you you can always give them a bath. also, change in the diet can affect smell of their waste leavings. but, if the smell is really something you don't want to deal with then you could always have them neutered. the cost of a neuter can vary greatly depending on the vet too so shop around. or, you may be able to adopt a couple males from a rescue. there are a few that will have the animals altered before leaving them and others will give a discounted rate for a spueter. just letting you know there are other options to consider if you really want to get boys over girls.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Twitch...It is based on what I have heard as I have no exp keeping rats, in fact I have only held one once when I was about 11 for 5 seconds at a farm fair, they were show rats. Ever since then I have always wanted them as pets but never allowed because my parents saw them as filthy vermin (yet it was ok to keep gerbils?) and now I am twenty five I can do what I like...even though my house mates have the same opinion of them, but they will be in my room, so, my business. I really want males, I can't really afford to get them nutered as I am a poor student

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think the issue of males smelling more is a bit exaggerated. My males' cages were a bit smellier, so I just cleaned them a bit more frequently. The boys themselves didn't smell bad - they had a different smell than my girls (who either smell nice and fruity or like pee -.-) but it's not unpleasant. If you want males, you should get them :) And really, if you don't have females too I doubt you'd really notice a smell because there's nothing to compare.

As far as naming, the length of the name doesn't matter. Some of my rats even have nicknames they respond to along with their actual name (Kismet knows she's Kismet but also that she's Baby Girl, and Jellybean knows she's Jellybean and Jellybelly and Jewwybean/JewwyBewwy, lol).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts