Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking around on the Internet, and found this beautiful natural themed rat cage.I instantly fell in love with the cage, and how neat it looked. Usually cages are a bit messy with totally different colors (something that bothers me being a neat freak and all) So if I where to use this theme: wood, rock, colors neutral brown and green. Btw I'm getting females.
If I were to do this theme do you know how I would clean the wood? (Here's a link to the pic)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1d/62/a5/1d62a510d55f1dbbbff885b42cbb1abe.jpg

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
It is very pretty:) but would be tough to keep clean. Wood will suck in the pee and the cage will stink bad really fast...you can clean the wood things by boiling them, but for the long sticks that would not work. You would have to replace the long sticks regularly, and sanitize them by wetting them and putting them in an oven. So it is feasible, just a lot of work. You could make your own hammocks (or use Etsy) to get them done in a single color or same pattern...The most important thing, in my opinion, is that your cage has plenty of fun stuff for your rats to play with (and yes they love those long wood sticks) and that it is easy for you to clean. A cage that isn't easy for you to clean will be annoying for you and a serious treat to your rats' Heath and wellbeing.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I use a lot of branches and wood. It's easy enough to clean, just use hot soapy water and give it a scrub once every few weeks. I currently have branches that are several years old and still not smelly

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks but if I use soapy water wouldn't that be toxic to the ratties? And what about the wood toys that may be connected by glue? Also if u wouldn't mind could u send me a pic of the cage? (For ideas) thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Here's a pic of one of my layouts

Most soap is none toxic, after all we clean our dishes and bodies with it. I use dish soap generally or hibiscrub if I'm organised ( a medical cleaner).

If it's animal safe glue used in animal products, or something suitable for kids toys it's safe to use in rat toys. My stuff isn't glued though it's useually fastened by wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts