Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put my two girls into a cage that is larger than the one they are in right now. The problem is that the cage they are going in also houses my boys. The cage is 5 feet tall, 18 inches wide, and 2 feet long. Itt is plenty big enough for my two girls and my three boys. I have it split 2/3 for the boys and 1/3 for the girls and I've made sure they won't be able to get to each other inside the cage.

However, the spacing of the bars allows for my littlest girl to poke her head through. I want to get some sort of wire mesh to attach to the cage so she can't get out and get pregnant...again. What kind of wire mesh is best for this kind of thing?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hardware cloth is often recommended, something plastic covered (not plastic entire! :lol: )

Screen isn't recommended... someone here has photos of what the rats did to the screen... needless to say it wouldn't be very secure. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I put my girls in their part of the cage today, just to see if they could get out. The littlest girl can't even get to her forehead! So I don't think I have to worry about them getting out.

I am thinking of adopting one or two more young girls soon. When I do, I'll wrap the girls' half of the cage with the hardware cloth, until they're big enough to have it removed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just so you know, if you live in Canada Hardware mesh is apparently hard to find (at least where I live) I had to settle for just plain wire mesh, put on the outside of the cage so they can't scratch themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts