Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which would be better for me.I'm wanting a sort of lap rat,one that would be content to just sit on my lap or be cuddled instead of running around like crazy.So which would be more suited to my needs,a male or a female?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Generally, males are more squishy, but there's no guarantee.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
well it is said that a male is more cuddle-bug lap rats then females when they're adults as the general rule but in my experience it really all comes down to the rat. i have one girl, that even from a baby all she ever wanted to do was hang out and chill on me. and i've had boys (though admittedly none older then 5 until just a few days ago) that were always on the go.

but if you were to play odds then finding a lap rat in males would be more likely. remember though, male or female, until they grow up all babies are going to want to play rather then be cuddled unless sleepy.

but if you're getting rats then make sure to get 2 so they can keep each other company. there really is no difference in keeping one as there is keeping 2 but the rats will be happier and healthier.

and if you can afford it you could get one of each gender and either fix both or the other gender. if you go this route and only get one fixed then it is more health benifical to the female though it is often pricer to get done.

and in any case when you do get your rat babies home we want to see pictures! *grins*

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i only have girls and they all act like they're on a caffeine high...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had 2 males and now have 6 females. As a rule male rats are bigger and sleep more. Mine would sleep in my pocket all day if they had food and water in there. My girls have to play for around an hour or so b4 they will come 2 me and stay still on my lap. All 8 have been great rats. Low for me it would be hard to pick.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've had both genders and if I'd have to pick, I'd say I ''prefer'' males to females. But I all comes down to what you're looking for in your rat, and it's also down to the inividual rat itself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i like males better personally.

this has nothing to do with this post but i just remembered this. i had a male rat in a 10 gal tank just for the night becuse i was at my moms house and took him with me my little cousin came there and looked at the rat and turned around and said the rat was having babies i almost died lol she thought his manly parts were baby's coming out. believe me we had to stop and think on how to explain to a 6yr old girl what she was seeing. sorry for the story but had to tell it.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
:lol: don't be sorry for a story like that. that was hilarious! probably not at the time but reading about now sure is funny! :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I want a female rat!

·
Registered
221 Posts
My boys are calmer and more lovey. My girls love to climb on me too but can't hold still for a good scratch. They are always on the go(& always getting into trouble). I can leave the doors to my boys cage open all day and let them roam my room while I am gone and they will come out when I come back into my room. I cannot say the same for my girls :D

But I love them all and it is great having different personalities in each of them. I Love my rat family just as it is :) (kinda cheezy but true :D)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've read that females are more active because in nature they have to have babies, so they search for food and males alot. The males really only need to worry about themselves so they don't waste energy running around. But like others have said it depends on the rat. Male do have a stronger smelling urine.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm not sure if that is really true as to why females are more active then the males. in a colony the chores of child rearing are about as evenly spread out amoung the entire colony (male and female) as it can be. the only things the males don't do is nurse and give birth. but as far as watching the kids and finding food for everyone there doesn't seem to be a male or female thing for that. same with defending the territory.

they are however wired differently with their chemistry and hormones and all that so that's what i would base their differing activity levels on. the males system is probably just telling them to relax more then the females system.

having said that though. i have 2 males right now. one is between 5-6 months old and the other is around a 1.5 years. both are very adventerous and though they will come see what i'm doing unless they get tired they aren't going to stay in one place very long. the same is true for most my girls too of course. but there is one girl (kakushi) who will quite happily spend the entire day sitting on my shoulder or lap to get pets and stritches. though the accepted general rule is that males are more cuddly i really think what it comes down to is the rat and their age. the older the rat the less hyper they seem to be (much like humans) but i haven't really seen any marked difference between the activity levels of girls vs boys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts