Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mouse has been acting a little funny the last couple months with various little things. But recently I noticed it seems like she has a white discharge that dries on the outside of her vagina. I have no idea what it could be. She had to have an emergency spay earlier this year, so I don't think it could be anything related to a uterus. It doesn't smell at all in that area, and no smell like infection. And the two brothers she lives with are neutered so I don't think it could be anything like that either. She has never shown any signs of being in heat and the boys have never shown signs of being interested in her sexually, I haven't ever seen any mounting or following.

I'm kind of baffled. On top of the other weird behaviors, I have no idea what could be wrong or if anything is wrong at all. I don't think it's related to her megacolon which is one of my concerns for one of her behaviors. She's making me very nervous! I'm tempted to take her to the vet, but it feels like the vet would probably just end up shrugging and tell me to keep an eye on her because there would be nothing to do really, except maybe for a course of antibiotics. And my only options are driving 4 hours round trip to a good vet that could see her almost immediately, or to make an appointment at my local good vet which sometimes is a month later since they book so far out. There really aren't any other vets I've ever tried that I trust or that seemed to know much about rats.

(Probably unrelated, but I thought I would include it just in case anyone is curious. Some of her other weird behaviors have been flattening her belly and stretching out on the floor, they look almost like owwie stretches. I imagine this could be because of her MC and she's trying to move poop by rubbing her belly to the floor. She also has seemed damp in her fur around her urethra area so she was put on ABs in case there was any infection starting. She is less damp now, but still sometimes is wet. Sometimes after she eats good tasty food she likes, she will wipe her mouth on the floor and edges of the fleece as if I just gave her some nasty tasting medicine. She will occasionally be a little fluffy as if she hurts or doesn't feel good, but this is not too often. I check on her frequently and she is usually better later. I assume this could be abdominal discomfort from MC poops moving or being stuck, but then the issue is resolved. If it is not, she will get a dose of pain medicine which usually helps. Do rats get headaches? I always wonder if that could be something that would explain the occasional discomfort behaviors that seem to go away after a period of time.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is her urine blood tinged? The best way to find this out is by lining paper towel in her cage for a few hours until she urinates.

I wonder if sometimes a rat won't clean herself down there? If so, maybe that is why there is dry stuff there? If she isn't well, grooming may be harder to do. I don't know and am just thinking...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, her urine appears normal color. I've tried the paper towel thing because I worried of that exact thing, and to me it looked normal. I have seen her grooming herself down there, sometimes I notice especially because she seems to be given extra attention to her genital area which is what made me check her out down there more carefully. But it's possible that she doesn't clean enough maybe so it ends up getting itchy so then she will clean more after it itches? Still not sure what that white stuff could be. I'm not sure if anything's really wrong though.. just a lot of odd little things that don't point in any direction health-wise ???

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wonder if it is possible that she may have an infection in her vagina hence the discharge? I realize she doesn't have her uterus, but her vagina is still there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts