Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, tonight during out-of-cage time one of my rats did...a lot of pooping.

like almost every night, i put them in their "Playpen" (the same red plastic storage tub i use for them, still waiting on the real playpen dad ordered) alongside their space pod since they seem to be recently loving it after i placed it on the floor of the cage. and, like most of the time, they did their pooping and peeing, presumably still fear pooping/peeing though in terms of skittishness they've definitely came out of their shell a lot more. however, this time one of them (i believe aardvark) took a massive load inside of the space pod. shortly after they were put inside their cage once more. however, this is where i discovered the issue i saw

when i dumped the turds out of the space pod, i noticed that many of them had these white specs inside them. it almost looked like they eaten some of their paper bedding, since it look a little like the new bedding i got them. unfortunately, i stupidly decided to toss out the turds and not take a picture. and...only now am i realizing i should've done that...

however, apart from that the girls seem do be doing just fine. they're not as shy anymore (Though still sometimes skittish), both appear to be drinking and eating as normal. if it helps, they are currently eating the kaytee fortidiet pellets which also may be a cause.

so...what could be going on? is it really just paper bedding that one of them eaten? is it parasites? or something else?

·
Registered
Boba, Theo and Diego
93 Posts
It could potentially be worms. Rats dont really eat their bedding, they spit out anything that's inedible most of the time. If they dont seem lethargic or anything else it might be nothing. It's a little difficult to say anything for sure though since we dont know what it looks like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could potentially be worms. Rats dont really eat their bedding, they spit out anything that's inedible most of the time. If they dont seem lethargic or anything else it might be nothing. It's a little difficult to say anything for sure though since we dont know what it looks like.
i'll see if the whitish stuff is still there when i take them out tonight. i know for a fact at least one of them's gonna poop during out of cage time. if it is, i'll take pictures and show you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll see if the whitish stuff is still there when i take them out tonight. i know for a fact at least one of them's gonna poop during out of cage time. if it is, i'll take pictures and show you.
I just took them out of their cage for a short time, and aardvark did produce some samples, but unfortunately it does not look like what I saw last night:
Grey Tints and shades Snow Landscape Monochrome photography

However, there were some other things I noted and realised too:

-since they both love sleeping in the pod, I'm assuming they also love eatimg in there, and I could be debris either from food or bedding
-i like to spread some dry, plain oats across the playpen to encurage exploration and as treats, which could have also been a contributed.
  • it looked like nothing was wrong with their anus, no worms or anything else.
  • for added clarification, the stool was solid last night.

It feels like this was a one time thing, but I want some clarification first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts