Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I tried to look this up in older threads and didn't really find info I was looking for. Maybe I didn't dig deep enough 馃槄
Anyway, I have 22 rats that recently turned 3 months old.
I hand raised 9.
The one having white teeth is one I hand raised. He(according to the vet) has permanently lost one of his top teeth. Aside from that his bottom teeth grow rapidly(far faster than normal rats, I have to trim back his teeth once every week or so because they get so long they threaten to injure the inside of his mouth), before he lost that top tooth too. So I have to constantly trim back his bottom teeth and make sure they don't get too long for his single top tooth.
But I've noticed every now and then his bottom teeth get white speckles on them as they grow.
Is this something to be worried about? Is there a vitamin I should be upping in his diet? Should I be upping his calcium?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try later. He's being a butt to me right now because I trimmed his teeth last night. I think I just need to sit with him for a little bit longer, just need the time.

Registered
Hm, I've never seen anything like that before. It looks like maybe a part of his tooth chipped? Does the white spot look like a scrape? Has he been eating or chewing anything really hard?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hm, I've never seen anything like that before. It looks like maybe a part of his tooth chipped? Does the white spot look like a scrape? Has he been eating or chewing anything really hard?
I have pumice stone and wood in the cage, but he's like one of three rats that never chews the wood or stone(At least I've never observed him chewing). And it looks smooth, so it's not chipped.

Registered
I have pumice stone and wood in the cage, but he's like one of three rats that never chews the wood or stone(At least I've never observed him chewing). And it looks smooth, so it's not chipped.
I'm not very familiar with rat health, so I could be wrong, but it looks and sounds like it's just a buildup of something inside the tooth that causes that part to be white. There is something humans can get called a white spot lesion tooth, and the tooth kind of looks like that, but I can't find any cases of it in rats- anyways, if it is a white spot lesion, it should be harmless.

You might want to call your vet or ask some other people around here though, because I don't really know much about rat health. You can go off upon what I said, but make sure to not start treating your boy or anything until you are certain what's happening :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not very familiar with rat health, so I could be wrong, but it looks and sounds like it's just a buildup of something inside the tooth that causes that part to be white. There is something humans can get called a white spot lesion tooth, and the tooth kind of looks like that, but I can't find any cases of it in rats- anyways, if it is a white spot lesion, it should be harmless.

You might want to call your vet or ask some other people around here though, because I don't really know much about rat health. You can go off upon what I said, but make sure to not start treating your boy or anything until you are certain what's happening :)
Okay, thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts