Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing that white teeth are bad for a rat but I cant find out why or what they mean. My boys are all past the age where they should have deep orange teeth, but they aren't that dark. They all eat normally and don't seem to have problems chewing. I'm probably over reacting but these are my babies (something I don't need to explain to you all) and I want them to be as healthy as possible

·
Registered
527 Posts
i never read that white teeth are bad for a rat..
all i read was that baby rats usually have white teeth, which turn yellow/orange as they get older.
i don't think all rats MUST have deep orange colored teeth when they're full-grown or else they're considered unhealthy.
so i guess i'm saying "don't worry!" :wink:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Orange teeth are a sign of good health in a rat. If they're light-colored, it's usually because they're older or sickly. In your case, I wouldn't worry about it at all :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
My husband was laughing at me the other day because I did a little happy dance when I noticed that Barry's teeth had turned orange.

"The only time when ugly teeth are a good thing!"

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
white teeth means weak teeth in rats that are too old to be having them. does this always mean trouble? no but it could. i don't know of a way to make teeth yellow other then to feed a healthy feed but even that that might not always help. sometimes its just genetics and nothing you do is going to change the color or strength of their teeth. the only thing i can suggest is to monitor their teeth on a fairly regular basis to make sure that they haven't broken, and if they have to consult a vet. but don't worry too much, i've known a few white teeth rats and nothing bad happened about it. they lived perfectly normal lives, but it still helps to err on the side of caution, especially when all that caution is, is to look at their teeth when they yawn at you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts