Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we do and it is very very sad. But Snakes have to eat Something.

Anybody here have snakes and rats?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have a snake, it's my boyfriend's snake actually but he only eats mice. My boyfriend KNOWS if he brought a baby rat in, I would have another pet lol. I'm finally convinced him to try feeding Wurm frozen. Chris is a little worried he won't since he's been eating live for 10 years but we are going to try soon!

I hope you humanely euthanise them then freeze them. That's the safest and most ethical way to sell snake food. I also hope you keep them in good enclosures.

I really am not too fond of Wurm but I know he makes Chris happy. He doesn't seem that interesting to me. He is a good snake and is pretty but other than that I find rats faar more interesting.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Personally I wouldn't breed for food. I couldn't kill them and I would never feed live. ick.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
This is a very touchy topic for a rat-lover's forum and is most likely going to blow up if what I have seen in the past holds true. Its generally not a good idea to post things like this.

I abhor live-feeding and promote frozen if I can, for the safety of the snake as well as for the rat. :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have two snakes and they have NEVER tasted a rat as long as they have been with me. My boys eat warmed up frozen mice, sometimes live baby mice if they are all out of the frozen ones.... I agree with lilspaz on this one, it's not such a great idea to talk about breeding rats to feed to snakes. Yea I understand snakes have to eat but it's like someone bringing in a king snake to your place and letting it lose on your corns. You'll be alarmed that, that king is going to eat your corns (i'm just assuming you have corns). Another reason I'm not a fan of feeding snakes is a lot of people seem to think it's fun/funny to put a live rat in with the snake and let it sit there terrified. I saw a few movies on youtube and almost ended up selling my snakes. I'll be VERY surprised if you find someone on here who breeds for food, I could be wrong but i'll still be very surprised.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm going to post something from another website I belong to. I don't claim to own the picture shown below, it belongs to the person whose name is on it, but I think you guys will apprecitate it.

I belong to a site called PonyIsland where you can breed ponies and train them and stuff, it really teaches a lot about genetics and such, but on there we have a bunch of other creatures you can adopt, called...adoptables. The Signatures are one of these. They are run by a lovely member called Pocket Change who has a rat rescue, and this boy is in memory of one of the rats she rescued.

Fate is missing 1/2 of his tail, one of his fingers is broken, he has a bite on his right leg, body infection, chunk out of his ear, fur missing, emaciated, URI and near death. He has a vet appointment tomorrow at noon, however it's almost 100% garauntee for PTS (put to sleep). That is why I made Fate into a Signature, like a memory. Enless the vet has a miricle anitbiotic, he's not going to make it. Apparently the snake played with the rat and then left it. The owner of the snake put the rat back in the cage and left it there figuring he could feed the rat at at later time but once the rat was sick, he no longer wanted to feed it to his snake. Which ment I got a phone call.

After I saw this, and read the story I was completly against having live rats fed to snakes. First off I had a hard time feeding crickets to my lizard, so feeding mice or rats to a snake would be almost impossible. Also there is the whole issue of it not being good for the snake either. So yeah, touchy subject, and I for one am totally against rats as snake food.

Emy

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Probably wasnt the best idea.

Oh and just to let everyone who feeds there snakes mice,
mace are not as high in nuetrients as rats are.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Quite frankly, I don't really care. Feed more mice, if it's an issue.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Our corn snake is ten years old and he is just fine on mice. He is perfectly healthy and fine with just a couple of mice every week.

Sometimes I wonder if pet snakes are overfed. I mean, in the wild it might be a couple of weeks or maybe even a month before they get a meal and they are excercising all the time by crawing everywhere! I don't really know anything about snakes and like I said, Wurm is Chris's snake I don't take care of him, feed him or touch him really.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Eh, it's a sad fact of life that rats are just take a low-to-intermediate step on the food chain, but snakes have to eat too.

My roommate breeds for snake food, not as her primary source, but as a supplement to buying frozen. She's very good about making sure the doe is in superb health, and never breeds them too often (2-3 times per doe, with lots of space in between). She euthanizes them at around 3 weeks (at the really cute stage! I couldn't do it!) and freezes them.

Honestly, I think it's probably better for the welfare of all animals involved that she's breeding every once in a while for food. You don't know what kind of conditions the rats who are feeder-bred were born into, and breeding healthy animals means high quality food for the snake. The does are treated extremely well, also, so the rats involved live quality lives and are treated as humanely as possible.

So, while I'd have a very hard time doing it myself (especially considering her corn snake can only eat baby rats at the adorable stage where they're zooming and nibbling on everything) I don't think that it's inherently a bad thing as long as it is done so that the rats being bred & those being fed are treated well.

Finally, I've seen the warehouse of the local feeder-breeder in the town where I went to college. The conditions were awful, and all of the rats had such bad myco problems that the warehouse sounded like it had a cricket infestation. The rats were really inbred, and they were producing rats with myco problems from birth. That's not the kind of stock you want to breed, even if they're going for snake food. They're weak, inferior rats, and they should never be allowed to further those genetic lines. That's not the kind of business that should be supported. Perhaps there are professional feeder-breeders out there that have great conditions, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i do believe that here in aussieland it is illegal to live-feed snakes. my uncle has snakes and he only freeze-feeds.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Snakes DO have to eat something, yes. But, people can order their pre-killed, frozen rats/mice online. You don't have to breed feeders. Especially in the conditions you keep them in... :(

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2manyrats said:
Finally, I've seen the warehouse of the local feeder-breeder in the town where I went to college. The conditions were awful, and all of the rats had such bad myco problems that the warehouse sounded like it had a cricket infestation. The rats were really inbred, and they were producing rats with myco problems from birth. That's not the kind of stock you want to breed, even if they're going for snake food. They're weak, inferior rats, and they should never be allowed to further those genetic lines. That's not the kind of business that should be supported. Perhaps there are professional feeder-breeders out there that have great conditions, but I doubt it.
Ours are all Spoiled and DO NOT have any Problems and are not inbred.
They have plenty of water and food and There Cages gat clean once or twice a week.(Depending on how it looks or smells.)

And We Feed Frozen to our Big Snakes and euthanized smalls. (un-frozen)

Some of you may think that we are your normal everyday Backyard Breeder but we are not. My mother and I SPOIL these Rats VERY VERY Much. they DO NOT live in Bad Conditions amd are Very healthy.

Just Wanted to Get that Clear.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
How many times do your females get bred in their lifetime? How young are they bred?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also, from what I've seen in the pictures of your cages, the cages are very small and very crowded for your rats, also you seem to not separate the females and their litters from the other rats, this is not recomended so I'd worry about their quality of life.

Emy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Matt said:
My mother and I SPOIL these Rats VERY VERY Much. they DO NOT live in Bad Conditions amd are Very healthy.
You're kidding right?
If by spoiling you mean, over breeding them like crazy, only to take their babies away to be fed to a snake, then yea sure, you spoil them like crazy.

It's disgusting.
I don't know how people like you live with themselves. Sure, snake have to eat, but there are ways to feed them without over breeding your pets and killing their young.
I'm angry... so I think I'll end it there before I say something I regret.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
twilight said:
Where is the proof that he is over breeding? I must have missed it.
I think they're basing that off the pictures in Stephanie's thread that shows many litters of many different ages.

That's why I wanted to know if the limit the number of litters per female and how old they are when they're bred....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First off, the pictures that you seen were of 2 cages. And yes we do feed off the babies but it has to be done. I love rats and I love snakes.

Second, They are Not over bred and are not inbred.

Third, they are healthy breeders and Do not live in tiny tiny cages.
They are not HUGE but they are not small.

And everyone who cant stand me for breeding for food, Deal with it because it isn’t ending anytime soon.

Also, what do you think snakes eat in the wild?
Hhmmmm, Let me think? Oh wait, Rats, mice, birds, and so on.

Just let this thread die because I am getting sick of people saying im a bad person for feeding my reptiles.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts