Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my rat to the vet today. I posted previously about him not eating much and now I know why. He was breathing rather fast, but he does not make any noise when he breathes. Appearantly, he has severe pneumonia. I cannot put him down without fighting as much as he is, so I got $300 worth of medications. The vet said he has about a 40% chance. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Are there any happy endings out there? I am close to tears and don't know what to think. :(

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
There are happy endings. You've gotten the medicines to help him... now it's up to him to fight. :(

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That is EXPENSIVE medication O_O Is it just the medication, or is there nebulisation treatments involved as well?

I think pneumonia is a very hard thing to fight. Some make it, but most will make it with lung scarring causing them to be on antibiotics for life. You might want to consider purchasing a nebuliser for your home and trying nebulisation treatments. It helped with my Odin. He was too far gone though and developed lung scarring. I put him on steroids and abs for the rest of his life as soon as I could find a vet that would work with me. Nebulisation helped a tiny bit at first, but not much ): He eventually got really bad and stopped eating/drinking so I knew it was time then.

Just fight it as hard as you can and hope you treat it in a time to prevent lung scarring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poppyseed said:
That is EXPENSIVE medication O_O Is it just the medication, or is there nebulisation treatments involved as well?

I think pneumonia is a very hard thing to fight. Some make it, but most will make it with lung scarring causing them to be on antibiotics for life. You might want to consider purchasing a nebuliser for your home and trying nebulisation treatments. It helped with my Odin. He was too far gone though and developed lung scarring. I put him on steroids and abs for the rest of his life as soon as I could find a vet that would work with me. Nebulisation helped a tiny bit at first, but not much ) He eventually got really bad and stopped eating/drinking so I knew it was time then.

Just fight it as hard as you can and hope you treat it in a time to prevent lung scarring.
The vet didn't say anything about lung scarring. But yes, a nebuliser is involved. His x-rays looked bad though. I just hope he will make it through.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ah, well now that price seems more reasonable that I know meds, vet fee, x-rays, and nebulisation is involved.

I hope you don't have to deal with lung scarring. Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My sisters rat was just diagnosed with pneumonia, He is already on doxycycline and now she prescribed him on a strong dose of Baytril. She is asking for prayers for her rat and for her as well. They would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Meliss, make sure the baytril is not replacing the doxy but added to the regime. Lots of fluids (does she know how to do the skin pinch for checking dehydration?), and whatever he will eat. Give him baby cereal, with Boost or Ensure in it for extra calories. Licking things up will be easier than hard items with pneumonia because they can swallow quickly then breathe again.
Good luck wee one.

I have had success with pneumonia (baytril/zithromax brought my girl back from death's door) but nebulizing and the meds (did they include a steroid to reduce the inflammation in those lungs? Or a diuretic to remove some of the fluid?) should help a lot. good luck with your boy. :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
When I need to attack pneumonia, we do the baytril and Zithromax combo. It works wonders, have brought back rats that were on their death bed.
But... if it's actually pulmonary abscesses, I doubt very much any meds, nor nebulizing with help. It can delay the growth but they will always have dyspnea. (laboured breathing)

I agree with you... it's always worth a fight!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cheddar has pneumonia. Only a week long now, barely its just now really gettin bad, but I have him on some medication and the doctor gave him a shot. He doesn't eat much but a i feed a few yogies a day... all he really will eat since everything else take so much time away from breathing. He has lost weight I am concerned, but yea I'm dealing with it now.. Sucks, I hate to see my little guy go through this. Doctor didn't say anything about it being severe, so I imagine Cheddars will pull through!

How do u know when its severe? Whats the signs out of curiousity? BTW I only spent 75 bucks for my visit and medication... of course mine isnt a severe case, just a thought.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
reessm01 said:
Cheddar has pneumonia. Only a week long now, barely its just now really gettin bad, but I have him on some medication and the doctor gave him a shot. He doesn't eat much but a i feed a few yogies a day... all he really will eat since everything else take so much time away from breathing. He has lost weight I am concerned, but yea I'm dealing with it now.. Sucks, I hate to see my little guy go through this. Doctor didn't say anything about it being severe, so I imagine Cheddars will pull through!

How do u know when its severe? Whats the signs out of curiousity? BTW I only spent 75 bucks for my visit and medication... of course mine isnt a severe case, just a thought.
Pneumonia is always severe. Its not an easy thing to cure. Its a real fight. What abs did you get, what were given at the vets?

Are you feeding him soft liquidy foods and extra calories? They drop weight like crazy just trying to breathe in this situation. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a girl who had pneumonia. When I took her to the vet, she was given oxygen immediately, and was there for about an hour. I took her home with a combo of baytril and zithro and it took Cookie about 3 weeks to get better. She is now 28 months and was never sick again. Cookie was about 20 months at that time. So, yes, there is always hope. Good luck with your baby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts