Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...When you can just use plastic buckets all the same? :p

I didn't believe they would use it. But we had a plastic bucket and some plastic links laying around, and, well.

SDC10586.JPG

They love it! Only three of them are in there in this picture, but normally all four are snuggled up in there. I went through a bit of a prototype...
SDC10581.JPG

But it swung too much and they wanted nothing to do with it. So, cut the links in half... and use two sets of links on each side for more stabilization and voila! Rattie approved ;)

So now I'm curious - how do the rest of you who use bucket hammocks keep them up and attached?

(ps: i know the cage looks pretty bare RN, their fleece stuff is in the wash... which needs the plastic links... I don't know if I want to give it back to them though. Maybe I'll put it in the bottom to make it softer, but they love it just like this!)

·
Registered
322 Posts
My girls adore buckets/baskets. And they are so easy to clean. I either use baby teething rings or metal shower clips, both work well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but my most popular sleeping spot is hamster balls. I use any sort of wire to tie it up in a corner, with a hammock or perches leading up to it. Currently all five are smushed into a hamster ball; it's amusing to see their toes and fur squish through the ventilation cracks. I also have a bucket attached up high with a screw/washer, recycled from a bird perch, and a milo tin screwed into the bars in the same way.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^I LOVE seeing those plastic hamster/rat balls hung up as "hammocks". Just out of curiosity, do you think you could get a picture of how they're hung up? My friend is thinking about using hers to do this and it'd really help! :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
^I LOVE seeing those plastic hamster/rat balls hung up as "hammocks". Just out of curiosity, do you think you could get a picture of how they're hung up? My friend is thinking about using hers to do this and it'd really help! :D
Floral wire is very bendy and works well. You just slip it through the air holes of the ball and tie.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lemme just say, these are a royal pain in the butt to attach, and near impossible to take off, depending on how tight you attach it. For this reason I didn't want to detach mine to take photos, so this isn't really step-by-step, but you get the picture. That being said, this is how I do it:

Find one of those cheap water bottle attachers and spread it apart a little bit. It's very helpful if the two prongs are bent a little outwards. It's gonna go through the outside from a corner.

Basically you hold the ball up to the corner and hook the prongs through the ventilation slits. Sometimes it works the first time, sometimes it doesn't. It's nearly impossible to do if you can't have one hand on the inner corner and one hand on the outer corner-- so you can hold the ball and maneuver the wire.

It's pretty easy to wipe out, and the rats like to stuff fleece into it.

(I have a feeling these are gonna be uploaded sideways. Thanks tinypic.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah I use zip ties for my baskets too. You can get packs of them at the dollar store. Then if I need to move the basket for any reason, I just cut the tie and put in a new one. I've sewn little pillows to put in my baskets and then I sew on straps on each end of the pillow so I can tie them into the baskets so they'll stay put. Then I just put a little piece of fleece for a blankie and my rats can love to snuggle under it. That way they're not having to sleep on the hard plastic and the pillows are removable for washing.

http://flic.kr/p/pj88UD

http://flic.kr/p/pAkgPF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts