Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a current litter of nine. Six pups are black berkshires while the other three are blue berkshires.

My rat mom is a black berkshire who squeezed through the bars of the boys' cage to mate. One of my males is a seal point with red eyes. The other is a blue berkshire with burgundy eyes.

When I heard a scuffle in the boys cage I turned around to see my rat doe was running around in it and noticed my seal point was licking his genitals with his penis out. However, my blue boy is sickly and I didn't see anything going on with him and he tried to mount his cagemate once the female was removed from their cage which shows he is capable of mounting despite his condition.

My rat mom has a blue sister. I need to know who my rat pups father is as my seal point is 27 months old and of good health. My blue has a heart murmur, labored breathing because of it, and a tumor. If he is the father he will pass on these genes onto my rat pups.

Is is possible for a seal point rat to create blue pups? Gosh, I hope so for the pups sake.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Do you know the background on the seal point (what colors his parents were)? blue is recessive to black, (seal points are black with an albinism gene to cause siamese) so it is possible. The only way to know for sure would be to breed some of the offspring to each other and see if you get siamese...siamese wouldn't show in this generation because it is recessive (needs 2 copies of the gene to show). Obviously, you will not want to breed the pups to find out, so there is not really a way to tell just by looking at them.

Are you going to keep all the pups from the litter or adopt them out? If you do adopt, you'll have to note that the father is unknown and could have health issues.

You also might want to put hardware cloth over your males' cage so this won't happen in the future. All of my cages have 1/2" bar spacing to prevent escapees or in this case, intruders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts