Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been working with our two double rex pups for a couple of weeks now. They've gone from being a little skittish and refusing to leave their cage, to sleeping under a blanket with me on the sofa, but....

I've noticed something.

I still haven't been able to train them how to use the litter box, come when called, know their name, or understand the word "no", but they have somehow managed to train me. So far we've worked through "I want to play", "I want some of what you're eating" and "I want inside your jumper"

So. Tell me again, who's training who...? :confused:

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It is a two way street. Rats are smart and once they realize you can learn they will start to train you too. Rats are very persistent in getting what they want, likewise sometimes you have to be the same.

So Misty just started tapping my feet to get my attention, I told her to come up to me, and she slipped into my sweat pants leg and came up to my lap for a skirtch. Now she's off running around again... She knows how to get my attention, and when I respond by calling her up she comes up to get her skritch... I suppose we have trained each other.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My rats have figured out how to ask for food. If I forget to give them dinner all three of them will line up at the door where I feed them and just stare at everyone that passes by. If someone sits by them they will all move to line up by them.
They only do this when they are hungry, it's so cute!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Somewhere along the way my guys got trained to come when I stand up and call them to one side of the bed. They'll come when I call them to the top level of their current cage. Houdini knows his name and will come if he thinks I have food for him.

Ryker has trained me to make room for him on my lap when I sit on the edge of the bed. Alfie has trained me to give him scratches when he leans his cheek against the bars of his cage. He'll do it from across the room - look at me, make eye contact, then flop down, and press his cheek against the bars. If I don't come over pretty quickly he'll peer at me again, make eye contact, then lie down and repeat.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alfie has trained me to give him scratches when he leans his cheek against the bars of his cage. He'll do it from across the room - look at me, make eye contact, then flop down, and press his cheek against the bars. If I don't come over pretty quickly he'll peer at me again, make eye contact, then lie down and repeat.
Oh my gosh! That is so freaking cute!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts