Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am two weeks into being a rat parent. Endora and Esmerelda are now a part of this family with my husband Kurt and my cats Raven and Veruca. I have found that they love the paper towel and toilet paper rolls as fun toys. Today I got them an old Fisher Price doll house that my Mom had in the basement. I also have a huge playpen I got at Petco and put the house in it. They LOVE it! I see that they are imaginative and I don't think I need to get "rat" toys (although the car that has the wheel in it looks cool). I hope this is a sign that I am becoming a good rattie!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I agree. Rats dont care if it is bought or just lying around. as long as they can go into it or on it they like it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
although the car that has the wheel in it looks cool
I have never seen one big enough for a rat, they are more for hamsters. When using a wheel it should be 12" or more. Also those wheels in the car, are not they type of wheels I would use with rats. They are more like exercise balls which IMO are not good or safe for rats at all.

Anyways...there are some toys I like to buy my rats. Little dollar plastic cat balls or fleece type balls are a huge hit. Some chew stuff, like blocks of wood that hang in the cage or the knot knibbler which is like some puzzle wood thing they adore taking it apart.

But homemade toys are just as fun!

http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm
https://www.pinterest.com/shatt3rdx33/rat-toys-diy/

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't bring myself to buy the balls you put pets in anyway. The thought that they will end up splashing their own piddle on themselves seems cruel. Right now the paper towel tube and the doll house are the toys of choice.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have 6 ratty boys. I also have 5 ferrets.( they have never met my ferrets and never will) but I have found that my ratties Love playing in my ferrets tunnels and tubes. They also love playing in boxes. They also like playing in dig boxes.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thats why I go to the dog isle and ferret websites for toys, the pet stores in Australia are very limited when it comes to small animals supplies and the toys they have are mostly those flavoured wood chews thats my rats just piss on and dump in their waterbowl But they'll go crazy over newspaper and a cardboard box.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My girls could care less for any toys I have bought for them. But they love to play in the recycle bag with all the empty juice packs and tin cans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts