Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my normal 'I'm super bored so I'm going to browse craigslist' thing yesterday and I noticed an ad entitled "rats"....oh goodness, to click or not to click...so I clicked on it and was absolutely horrified. Someone was selling 2 adult rats living in a 10 gallon tank. I think what made it worse is the person knew they need better and actually mentioned it in the ad but the fact that they said they don't have time for them ANYMORE makes me wonder how long those poor babes have been living in that situation. I absolutely cannot take in anymore rats and even if I could I'm not sure I could pay someone like that $40 for a $10 tank and two rats that they probably got from the feeder bin just so that they can buy some other poorly cared for pet. I know for a fact that there are other rat lovers here that understand what rats need so I can only hope that one of them sees the ad and not someone who will just get them and keep them in the same situation. The only fortunate thing about the outrageous price they want is it will keep them from going to snake owners....maybe. Grr

·
Registered
581 Posts
I see these a lot... I keep up with the craigslist adds around me to that I can alert the community here if I see some rats desperately in need of help. After reading your post, I checked again and I found two male rats living in a completely empty small tank with only an extremely small food bowl and a water bottle. The food bowl also appears empty but it could just be the perspective. To make matters worse, there's something big ontop of the cage, probably to keep them from getting out...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Luckily there aren't many rats posted to Craigslist in my area, but last year I found a posting for two rats living in a hamster cage! It was no joke a critter trail type cage. I was horrified, I was going to take them, but then the ad was removed.
It always gets on my nerves when people adopt/buy animals without doing their research. Or even worse, simply don't care.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I once found the most discusting excuse for a rat cage on ebay. It was basically a steel box with a tiny wire window at the front. And inside it, what I first thought was bird crap, upon a closer look was rust. The entire inside of the cage absolutely caked in rust. The thing looked like it belonged in a poultry slaughter house.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The all time best of the worst Craig's list adds I ever read was something like this"

"100+ rats, all sizes and colors $1.00 each must take min 10. Cheap cages and racks, landlord wants them out by weekend..."

Just another get rich quick by breeding animals scheme gone terribly wrong.

The scarier ones involve vast racks, cages and Tupperwares for sale and no rats... I always wonder what happened to the hundreds of rats that lived in those racks at one time...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts