Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered this, why do only some rats squeak? Of my three, Ilsa and Rauha seldom make a noise unless they are getting their arses kicked by another rat, but Aino seems to squeak all the time. It's never the 'help me! I am in serious trouble!' squeaks that you get when one rat is really having a go at another, but just little squeaky noises almost seemingly at random. Are some rats simply more vocal than others, or is this some carry over from being a wee kitten?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Rats shouldn't really squeak for no reason. There is like a bit of a saying that healthy rats are silent rats.

The only time rats really squeak is during bickering, irritation, fights, fear, or pain.

If your rat is making noises randomly I would worry that it might actually be a URI or she is in some kind of pain or stress. I'd suggest taking her to the vet for a checkup just to rule anything out.

Can you record the sound?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer - a vet nurse friend of mine gave her a quick check over and cleared her of URI, but said its most likely just bickering between her and the older two rats. Aino was the last rat into the cage, so the other two had already formed a bit of a hierarchy between them, so shes still settling into the social dynamics. The sound isnt the ee-ee-ee-ee sound of a wheezy squeak like I've seen in videos of URI issues, more just an irregular eep of someone being ambushed or held down. It also seems to be happening less - this morning Aino hasnt squeaked, plus the bigger Rauha or sneaky Ilsa are giving her more room and not sitting on her head.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One of my girls, Bea, would try getting the attention of Artemis, but if Artemis wouldn't pay attention to her, she'd stare at Artemis squeaking at the top of her lungs until Artemis looked at her.

Another one of my girls rarely squeaks, even when being played with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My more energetic rat sometimes squeaks at me in frustration, usually if I won't put her down (like when I'm trying to cook). And my drowsier rat likes being held, even with her back legs hanging, she's like a pancake of a rat.

·
Registered
604 Posts
One of my girls, Bea, would try getting the attention of Artemis, but if Artemis wouldn't pay attention to her, she'd stare at Artemis squeaking at the top of her lungs until Artemis looked at her.
For some reason I laughed really hard at this lol But when I first got my young boys, Cheshire was extremely vocal. They were seldom handled before I had them (got them off of craigslist being advertised as free), and Chesh would squeek bloody murder when I reached to pick him up, or when Renegade takes his food away. He's gotten better now but when I take him to the vet to get his teeth trimmed he still gets very vocal to the point when he sounds like a little guinea pig! My vet couldn't help but laugh because he was so noisy. But I notice that he mainly squeeks in times of stress or fear. That's just been my personal observation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think some ratties are definitely more vocal than others, but always be wary if one is suddenly more vocal than normal or being vocal for no real reason. I've definitely ignored this before, woke up to one of my girls squealing, figured it was normal play and went back to sleep, got back up about 30 minutes later and she had her foot twisted badly in a hammock hole. After me getting her out, apologizing repeatedly, and crying my eyes out, she got many extra treats and was all good, never have ignored weird sounds again. But one of my girls, Piper, is absolutely more vocal than everyone else, she squeaks the loudest during play and if I scoop her up while she's playing she'll squeak even louder, I just imagine her yelling "Put me down!! Let me at her!! I'm gonna get her for stealing my treats!!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts