Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there is already one on rats in general but here is something that I just don't understand. Why do people hate albino rats, or mice, so much? I think they are just a beautiful as other rats. Sadly my mom said I was not aloud to bring any albinos into the house for she for some strange reason is just not having it with them. I work at a shelter and there are 2 albinos that are so lovely, but likely won't get adopted too quickly. In the past we had a little of 7 that took almost 4 months to re-home all of them. Usually the rats leave within 2-3 weeks. So what are your opinions on albinos? And why do you think people are so against albinos specifically?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love albinos. Although I think the main thing that turns people away from them is their commonly red eyes. People have told me that red eyes are ugly and that it is ugly in a rat. I do not believe that.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I love albinos. Although I think the main thing that turns people away from them is their commonly red eyes. People have told me that red eyes are ugly and that it is ugly in a rat. I do not believe that.
All albinos have red eyes,caused by the lack of pigment.If a animal is completely white but does not have red eyes,it is not a albino.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My first rat was a red eyed white, I actually was always put off by red and pink eyed animals. It creeped me out, and I knew it was unfair so that's why I specifically sought an albino out. Her name was Pinky (because I'm so original lol) and she was an ABSOLUTE sweetheart. Such a cuddle bug. I'd carry her around my apartment and she'd fall asleep in the crook of my arm. Just a doll, and like I suspected, I obviously came to love her very much and now the red eyes don't freak me out :p I don't have many pictures of her on my tablet as this was a number of years ago, and I'm too lazy to dig through my phone at the moment, but I'll see if maybe I can dig one up!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've always wondered about this too. I mean, I can see where people are coming from, but I think albino rats are beautiful. Pink eyes are so mysterious. c:

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
As a shoulder rat trainer who takes his rats out into the sun, pink eyed rats are just at too high a risk of eye damage. We have two with black ruby eyes, who can't see as well as the natural eyed rats. But it's hard to tell when rats are pups whether they have normal black eyes or black ruby eyes....

I'm more than fine with black eyed whites though... I think they are beautiful.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The best thing I can think of is that black or brown eyes are closer to more popular animal's eyes and therefore more relatable. You rarely see pink eyes or albinos and so they seem a bit alien to people.

I personally think it is a gorgeous colour.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also, while I can't say it holds true for all of the cases, I would say a majority of the time it's not that people hate albinos. I think it's more of they're freaked out by their eyes. Kind of like people who are put off by rat tails. Not that they necessarily hate rats or hate albino, it's just something they're uncomfortable with or afraid of. I'm afraid of spiders, they freak me out. I don't hate them however, and I know it's silly, but it doesn't stop me from reacting in a scared manner if I happen to come across one.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Alot of people don't like the red eyes for sure. I always get people telling me they will take anything as long as it doesn't have red eyes.

But honestly I just think PEWs are just seen more as lab rats/feeders & that is part of it too.

On top of that markings can be really cute.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I tend to agree with Moonkissed on this one... I love high white rats because their markings appeal to my sense of aesthetics. There's otherwise nothing special about their personality as far as I can tell... I mean they're as wonderful as any other rats...

And yes, I think PEW's are often seen as common or lab rats or snake food... we tend discount common things... and value rare or unique things...

I think we all know that "pretty" people do better in social situations, and I think, likewise so do rats...

When we took Amelia and Fuzzy Rat places, Amelia always drew a crowd... people who didn't like rats fawned all over her. She honestly didn't much like strangers and disliked the attention... Fuzzy Rat was a diva and would showboat all over the place and eventually would draw the attention to herself... After a while people would pretty much leave Amelia alone and play with Fuzzy Rat.... And everyone loved Fuzzy Rat... And some people would even remark that she was beautiful... (she was actually a very plain and very pudgy rat)... But she had a vastly superior public persona to Amelia and she had incredible charisma (really hard to explain). But on first sight, Amelia was the hot babe in the room and everyone just had to meet her first...

I think PEW's are just considered plain Jane among rat fanciers, and like lab rats or snake food among people who don't know better... And lets face it lab rats and snake food doesn't have much of a status in the animal kingdom.

Be honest with yourself...

IMAG0054.jpg IMAG0059.jpg

Which rat would you adopt if you just saw them through the glass at a pet shop? And by the way these photos were taken the same day... so that's exactly what they looked like when we had them out together. (and yes, if you look into their eyes and read their body language, you can actually tell how much more engaging Fuzzy Rat was, but you really have to know rats to see that)... Lastly, before I'm misunderstood, Amelia was a sweet and loving rat... but when they were together, she was pretty much Fuzzy Rat's pet rat... they weren't even close to being in the same league.

I don't think most people hate PEW's, plain girls or dumpy guys... they just prefer pretty ones. We adopted Amelia at over 7 months old... breaking all of our rules about adopting pups, and the fact that she was just beautiful played a part in that decision.

As to red eyes, Amelia's eyes would flash bright red in the right light.. and yes it could be a little bit spooky. I think if they were red all of the time, we'd be more used to it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I admit, at first I didn't want a red eyed rat because I thought they were plain and boring, and I didn't want an agouti either for the same reasons. Came home with an Agouti and a red eyed rat lol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I didn't want a red eyed white rat either. My boyfriend and i have other pets that I buy feeders for, which 95% of are albino. I like there to be a visual distinction between food and pets. It makes having the carnivore pets easier on ME.

That said.. I now have a minimally marked red eyed siamese. So basically a white rat with red eyes lol I didn't exactly WANT her. I picked up a trio of girls at the breeders and she was the last girl left. The breeder asked if I would take her as well so she wouldn't be lonely... and I couldn't leave her behind.

She happens to be the cuddliest one of the bunch. She slips into my shirt collar and falls asleep on my shoulder under my shirt. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was actually weary of the red eyes at first too. I thought they looked creepy. I'll admit that even red eyed rabbits still look odd to me. I think we all have our preferences when it comes to rat appearances. I think the red eyes are what people are afraid of. I have never heard anything negative about black eyed white rats. As others have mentioned, albinos are often used for snake food and as lab rats. I think people generally have a bias against albino rats. Honestly it isn't a secret that PEW are harder to home, at least in my experience. I own my two albino girls now because the owner had an accidental litter and was having a hard time finding a home for them. Owning a PEW has changed my perspective on them. My two girls are very friendly and I have grown to love their appearance.

I no longer see them as creepy but I know that many others do. If I am introducing someone to rats for the first time they'll usually go for one of my hooded girls first.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
It makes me think of black dogs in shelters. Black dogs are the least likely to get adopted. Whatever the reasons for both white rats with red eyes or black dogs in shelters...people have general preferences on what constitutes an attractive rat/dog.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I own 3 black dogs, Grib. All rescues and picked specifically because they're black and often overlooked and no one wanted them :) couldn't imagine my life without them!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I own 3 black dogs, Grib. All rescues and picked specifically because they're black and often overlooked and no one wanted them :) couldn't imagine my life without them!
Thank you so much for adopting:) I have no idea why black dogs are overlooked, they just are:( Those three were so lucky you came for them:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Left to right... Buck, Ike, and Tessa May :heart:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It makes me think of black dogs in shelters. Black dogs are the least likely to get adopted. Whatever the reasons for both white rats with red eyes or black dogs in shelters...people have general preferences on what constitutes an attractive rat/dog.
Same for black cats as well. I used to foster kittens and I had a whole litter of black kittens and rescues the rescue who was going to take them had some issues/long story and a whole bunch of rescues passed on them as even though they were adorable little kittens being black it was too hard to place!! Luckily two of them were polydactyl (having 6 toes on each foot) and it made them special enough that people wanted them. The others I had to keep for a bit but they finally were adopted.

Black cats are my fav though...but I am a witch so lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is a cultural stereotype too that things with red eyes are evil and scary. Think about the last horror movie or children's story you saw/read...the eerie glowing red eyes peering at your from the darkness. Then add on top of that the stereotype of rats being gross or unclean rodents and there you go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts